Sign in to follow this  
SirJB

My S13.5 has AIDS!

I recently picked up an S13.5 with some lightly bubling paint in the roof surrounding the sunroof.

After removing the sunroof and sanding it back this is the worst part. There is still rust pretty much on all sides, this is just the worst bit:

P1000904_zps2cd8ab41.jpg

Thoughts on repairing this? Welding? Replacing it using sheet? Cut a roof out of another s13?(Probably taking it too far) My aim is to stop the roof deteriorating to the point where it leaks. What are you opinions?

They all tend to do this eventually, easy enough to cut it out and replace with sheet. Just don't catch your interior on fire like a friend of mine did to his once.

Cut it out and put some new steel in. I did it this way on mine. Just remember when welding on a hood keep it cool with a wet rag as it will warp quite easily and you can't get a dolly in to stretch the weld once you're done. You will need to bog it once you're done, a hood is very hard to get perfect, just don't get it too hot. Once you've done the repairs load the inside up with a penetrating rust proofing, like tectol or fish oil, but fish oil stinks.Stevo.

It was pretty funny, He'd covered everything in an effort to avoid this but at least one piece of red hot metal managed to get through.

make sure you use rust convertor and don't leave any high fill sitting for a long period of time because it will absorb moisture.