Sign in to follow this  
forsale

comparison between the two cars

13b has no torque only the 20b has torque.

Bit of a generalisation,

Fitting 4 people, climate control, are you expecting this car to be some kind of reliable daily?

oh dont worry, healthy rotaries make plenty of torque... sure it's no v8 but it certainly feels stronger than any sr20 I've felt :P

oh dont worry, healthy rotaries make plenty of torque... sure it's no v8 but it certainly feels stronger than any sr20 I've felt tongue.png

Damn really, i thought sr20 makes more torque lol. are we talking stock for stock? cause rx7 can use massive fkn turbos which gives them that advantage.

i see crazy steep dyno sheets and it sure does look aggresive.

Traction and handling all depends on how you set it up. It has little to do with the actual chassis. The tyres, the suspension, bushing, areo, diff and even power delivery will all depend on how well the car will handle.

There is a reason why a 350kw Time attack S15 can take corners much faster than a 350kw Drift car or street car.

But can you get a 300kw S15 in any specification to spin the tyres in the rain - Yeah probably.

Traction and handling all depends on how you set it up. It has little to do with the actual chassis. The tyres, the suspension, bushing, areo, diff and even power delivery will all depend on how well the car will handle.

There is a reason why a 350kw Time attack S15 can take corners much faster than a 350kw Drift car or street car.

But can you get a 300kw S15 in any specification to spin the tyres in the rain - Yeah probably.

Any car with 300rwkw will fry the tyres. Setup is everything as mentioned above. My 50wkw swift frys them in the wet if I put my foot down on the highway in heavy rain lol. Tyres suspension and alignment are king in that order. The yer is what will give you the grip, if you look at jap time attack cars they don't f around when it comes to tyres and aero.

yeah you kinda need a fair comparison... stock for stock, the rx7 series 8 is pushing well past the "gentleman's agreement" 280PS/206kw... this makes it quite a powerful car... add in the factory enormous tread, nicely set up suspension and you've got something that is really impressive... it's a pretty scary stock car.

Stock silvia... well... after you've driven anything modified you're probably gonna be a bit disappointed.

I would add that the factory power figure for the s15 is probably slightly exaggerated and that the power figure for the rx7 is very much understated.

Edited by mUnky-matt

Why does being able to bake the tyres in the wet have anything remotely to do with this topic?

I can bake the tyres on my push bike in the rain.

OP might be new to this side of the fence..but it makes good discussion and not just kids being keyboard warriors

i would pick the FD over the s15 any day for all the mentioned reason, a much better car out of the box and the look of the car is timeless. but money is a real issue to most first world people. how ironic lol

Although the thread wasn't really a question of which car to buy, as much as I love the look of the FD, I'd probably stick with the S15. The S15 is more practical in terms of interior space, parts supply and finding mechanics to work on it. Were I spending the coin needed for an RX7, I'd prefer to buy an S2000 instead, as I prefer roadsters to 2-seater hardtops.

Just as a comparison stock v stock pricewise, when Mazda stopped selling RX7s (S7) in AUS in 1999 they were going for around $90K, the S14/15 was around $42-45K depending on spec. For that sort of money there'd wanna be some differences.

Hop in a time machine, get a mint series 8 next to a mint s15 and immediately you'll see that the s15 has nothing on the rx7... I mean we could bang on about raw numbers and handling characteristics and shit but at the end of the day, one of them competes with porsches and one competes with... well i don't even know who buys s15's new.. poor people? :P

tldr; i still drive my 180 but if i were Richy Rich I'd probably have an rx-7 over a porsche.

Hop in a time machine, get a mint series 8 next to a mint s15 and immediately you'll see that the s15 has nothing on the rx7... I mean we could bang on about raw numbers and handling characteristics and shit but at the end of the day, one of them competes with porsches and one competes with... well i don't even know who buys s15's new.. poor people? tongue.png

tldr; i still drive my 180 but if i were Richy Rich I'd probably have an rx-7 over a porsche.

So let me get this right.... only poor people bought $42,000 cars then, but you would need to be "Richy Rich" to buy a sub-$25,000 RX-7 today? I must be missing something here.

Also, Porsches sold in Australia are massively inflated in price compared to Europe, so of course you would get the RX-7 here; the equivalent price of Porsche would be a late 90s Boxter, or an old 911/924/944.

Edited by pmod

If Mr Mid Life Crisis is desperate for a sports car (when these cars were new) and all he could afford was a $42,000 car, then I'd call that poor... it's all relative of course. Consider that you'd be paying far more for the rx-7 (also at the time). I like the way you compare the new price for the s15 with the lowest price possible for the rx7? :/

Even in Europe you'd sooner get the rx7... the value is far better (performance etc vs price). You'd never look to buy either of those cars locally because the prices are crazy... importing from Japan you can get them FAR cheaper than both Europe and Australia.

If you have cast to burn... get RX7 :D

I've owned my S15 for 6 years now. In that time (apart from servicing) all I've replaced is one drive shaft, Passenger side power window motor and a gear box. The car is making 260 odd kw.

I've had friends with all kinds of RX7s series 1-7 and if one this certain they are NOT reliable regardless of how often you service it. Are they cool cars? with great looks and performance? Yes but they might as well be Italian for how reliable they are.

If Mr Mid Life Crisis is desperate for a sports car (when these cars were new) and all he could afford was a $42,000 car, then I'd call that poor... it's all relative of course. Consider that you'd be paying far more for the rx-7 (also at the time). I like the way you compare the new price for the s15 with the lowest price possible for the rx7? :/

Even in Europe you'd sooner get the rx7... the value is far better (performance etc vs price). You'd never look to buy either of those cars locally because the prices are crazy... importing from Japan you can get them FAR cheaper than both Europe and Australia.

That's because it directly correlated with what you said; "tldr; i still drive my 180 but if i were Richy Rich I'd probably have an rx-7 over a porsche" translates as meaning present-day.

As for the rich/poor part, although I don't personally agree with your mid-life-crisis assessment shiz, I do agree that it's all relative. An MA70 Supra cost $42k in 1986, and around the same time my parents bought their house for $55k.

sorry i thought it was dead obvious; if i was throwing money around i'd take an rx7 even though it is "outclassed" in monetary terms by more expensive cars and that the s15 doesn't even compare to either of them. Blowing a quarter of a million on a porsche, well I'd define that as being into the "rich" category. Also I'd never buy a shitter sub-25k FD... just accident waiting to happen... I'd rather take a mint one, low K's.