Sign in to follow this  
Blakasaurus

Newbie, JDM S13 Convertible

Hey Everyone,

New to the forum recently acquired a 1988 S13 Convertible. CA18DET

Bought it in pretty bad condition (Sad to see how people mistreat the cars)

The Head Gasket was gone and the Oil Drip lines above the cams were blocked, Cams and Rocker Arms were well gone.

The Interior was damaged all the trim was sun faded, and the dash looked like it had been destroyed by a cat. (Grrrr Cats)

The drop top itself looks like it was on the wrong side of a prison shanking.

Put a lot of time into it:

Rebuilt the engine myself, just redone the CA, plan on going an SR later down the track.

Got a new dash and redone the trimming with originals of a friends wrecked s13. :P

Just Trying to Source a New drop top. Not going very well with it. LOL

Some things about the car:

Its got shaved door handles (The mechanism to open them is stuffed so opening the door is a bit hard, haha :( )

17 inch Gram Lights.

180sx Front Conversion

Vertex Mirrors

And What I assume to be a Vertex Body Kit

S15 Front seats

A custom aqua green paint :puke: , I'll get it changed eventually. (Black to match my R6, then they can be friends in my garage, my R6 is racist :Drugs:)

Would really like to chat with other people who own the Convertibles to see what they've done.

Plan on having this car for quite a while. Gotta lot more work I need to do and ideas are always good.

Any questions hit me up.

Cheers Guys,

K

post-149036-0-93485100-1366605580_thumb.jpg

post-149036-0-56312700-1366605590_thumb.jpg

post-149036-0-67170700-1366692782_thumb.jpg

post-149036-0-43046500-1366692786_thumb.jpg

post-149036-0-97121900-1366692847_thumb.jpg

Edited by Blakasaurus

yeah. it did. lol.

I found old paper work in the car when i got it.

it was regod here in 2008 i think.

Was it by chance urs??

damn a onevia vert and its not auto and de thats a score u got it turbo and manual :)

This is a way cool start to one of these! Glad to see you're treating it well. Hopefully Bangaladesh can provide more info about it as I always enjoy finding out the history of cars.

yeah. it did. lol.

I found old paper work in the car when i got it.

it was regod here in 2008 i think.

Was it by chance urs??

Nah i just remember seeing pictures of it online.

Good find man.

And have you tried taking the drop top to an alpholsterer and getting a new one made?

The Head Gasket was gone and the Oil Drip lines above the cams were blocked, Cams and Rocker Arms were well gone.

CA18s don't have rocker arms, and they don't have oil lines above the cams either.

So it makes sense that the rocker arms were well gone. :P

Edited by ZeroFallen

Very nice. I'd love to pickup an S13 vert, but not many around as you said!

Awesome score did u get it cheap??? Looks

Like a type x front bar and lip so double score def replace the door as shaved anything should only be on a woman not a car

yeah. it did. lol. I found old paper work in the car when i got it. it was regod here in 2008 i think. Was it by chance urs??
Nah i just remember seeing pictures of it online. Good find man. And have you tried taking the drop top to an alpholsterer and getting a new one made?

Yeah went to an upholster he said $2500 for the roof.

No new sprocets for the bike :( . time to turn on saving mode.

Would love to find out who has the original onevia plates.

It would top things off.

Awesome score did u get it cheap??? Looks

Like a type x front bar and lip so double score def replace the door as shaved anything should only be on a woman not a car

Yeah got it for $6000 just the time and parts fixing it.

Lucky my old mans a mechanic. lol.

He rekons cops will defect as soon as they see no door handles as its deemed a safety hazard.

so ill have to sort that out. probably before i paint it.

Sooooooooooooo Many things to do, not enough coin. lol

CA18s don't have rocker arms, and they don't have oil lines above the cams either.

So it makes sense that the rocker arms were well gone. :P

Cam lobes, rocker arms, the thingies that open and close the little upside down exhaust and inlet pistons. lol. theres lots of them so its a fast car. see im smarts and stuffs.

Helped my old man do cams on an sr. me gets confused sometimes. doesnt even pay me. lol.

Note to self kids=free workforce

oh yeah if any1s intrested my old mans got a spare red top sr20det complete head (in very good nic), $100 but u have to pick it up in vic, PM me.

I owned one not long ago was a massive impulse buy as one popped up around my way. Was in awesome condition interior still looked brand new was a CA18DET auto with front mount, boost controller and exhaust. Only thing stuffed was the roof had a couple of small rips and the rear window was that gross yellow, also wouldn't go up or down which ended up being the dash switch wasn't getting power so just wired it into another power source.

I ended up putting a bigger fuel pump in, putting all adjustable suspension in it and the XD9 wheels. Getting the roof replaced was crap no place wanted to touch it and the only place that would quoted around the same price as you. Got a guy to do it for $1000 in the end and knew it was to good to be true roof looked good but leaked like a mofo and the guy done a runner on me.

Heres what it looked like when I had it.

IMG_0280_zps61509508.jpg

IMG_0276_zpsa07fe3fc.jpg

After a few months of owning it the turbo seals crapped themself, got some coolant leaks and the gearbox overdrive button snapped and the dash ended up cracking on me. Quickly got over it and returned it to stock and sold it along with my other s13 and upgraded to an S15 now and no regrets what so ever hahah

One tip if it doesn't have coilovers and you put them in make sure you put something over the top of them when they are installed cause as the roof folds down in the compartment and the coilovers sit higher then the stock springs means you will end up with two small holes in your roof/rear window where it rubs on them, happened slightly to mine and the chick that was on here for a little bit that had one had it happen to hers aswell. I just hollowed out a big chunk of foam for both sides and put it over top with some leftover plastic I had from the rear window.

Edited by Gurglar

Thanks heaps for the advice gurglar, I was gonna get some coils for it but i might save that money and put it towards the roof.

My rear windows also gone that gross yellow its hard to see out the back.

Im trying to find out if other roofs will fit. I've read mixed opinions on the 240sx roof.

When i got mine the dash was cracked as well, might be a common problem.

Hope everything on the S15 stays good.

Cheers

Hey Blakasaurus

Welcome! Its good to see another Onevia Vert owner! I believe yours belonged to Gareth from J-Spec imports and his mrs used to drive it around. I got told that the roof is very similar to that of a BMW vert roof (well the canvas is anyways) and yours has already been replaced.

Unfortunetly there are only a few clean and well maintained examples floating around in VIC.

Things to note:

-The american 240SX Onevia Vert roof is not interchangable. Its a manual roof and el crappo. Having said that there was a guy who had a sex spec vert and claimed the american roof fits. He has since never been active on the forum.

- Nissan wont help you. There is no part no. for the roof or anything related to this variant.

-Autech (who make special vehicles for nissan) developed the special edition S13 Varietta and are just as useful as nissan.

After scouring the web here is some interesting information about this unique and rare car:

http://forums.nicoclub.com/240sx-convertible-forum.html

S13 Vert Eyecandy

http://zilvia.net/f/chat/212964-dope-vert-thead.html

My vert has been stripped and awaiting sandblasting. If you have any questions let us know and ill try and help out. After gutting the car noticed some interesting stuff.

-Andrew

Hey Andrew,

Thanks heaps for the info, might try give J-Spec Imprts a call, see if they have the original onevia plates.

Yeah Nissan was no help at all. Did waste a good half hour on the phone but.

I got told that the roof is very similar to that of a BMW vert roof (well the canvas is anyways) and yours has already been replaced.

Do you think the BMW canvas/roof would go straight on, if so what type of BMW would I need to source. (Ill try call Gareth Monday and Ask)

Some very nice looking verts getting round. Do you have any pics of your and what colour are you planning on painting it.

Again thanks heaps for the info.

Cheers,

K

They look awesome when done right!!!

Nice buy as well, manual too!!!!!!! Winning!

ONEVIA plates aren't original every s13 with a 180 front is called a onevia. S13 dashes all crack its a common problem.

Won't be able to find anything to do with the roof as the cars weren't made through Nissan they were made by autech.

Doubt you'll find any roof that will slip on will have to be custom made, the 240sx roofs don't fit and pretty sure the rear window is in a different spot.

Its been so long since I de-registered the car. I didnt take any decent photos when I first got it because there were so many porblems with it :( Funnily enough there issues were issues with my roof when the previous owner had it. Gareth fixed it (so i was told) for a straight swap for the type x bar that was on my car. I wouldnt be surprised if there is a layer of silver under the aqua lol Anyway here are the pics

04022008115.jpg

04022008116.jpg

04022008111.jpg

ONEVIA plates aren't original every s13 with a 180 front is called a onevia.

Yeah id just like the plates that say ONEVIA, take it back to its former glory. lol. Besides I hate doing that numbers for letters plates. ONEV1A, ON3VIA etc.

I think Ill ask if he wants to trade the bar on it know for a roof. LOL

Keep us updated on how everythings going on it.

Cheers.

Hi

I have a convertible with lots of work done, live in Botany, glad to meet up or have a chat.

Pics will be up soon...

Owner of the car hasn't been on this site for almost a year but I'd be keen to see a few snaps of your vert!

Far out that 'vert with XD9's... makes me want to buy one ahah

Buy mine :P

vert1.jpg

vert2.jpg

vert3.jpg

It has half of the silver onevia vert in it anyway hehe.

Being a newbie and all, I would like to find out how to attach pics of my vert and how to change my profile pic??

Any help would be appreciated :-)