Sign in to follow this  
Grant McGrath

My part's and upgrade suggestions?

thanks for the quick response. Munky so does my tunner still tune the MS3 PRO and how is it more hassel once the car has been fully tunned? sorry for the noob qst

i think he means hassle as in going through the process of selling etc and getting the other ECU

Varies by tuner... tuners with experience with particular ECUs will favor them, for obvious reasons. Various ECU's are popular in different car communities... the megasquirts are popular with mx-5's, kitcars, porsches and such... not so much on Japanese cars. Yeah it's a hassle setting them up because you need to make your own loom. It's the easiest ECU to tune though. I tuned my car in about 1 hour well enough to drive to the dyno, where the tuner did the high-boost stuff and the timing map (mine was a bit shit). So yeah, it's just like a standalone ECU, but easier to tune.

ok so this is a upgrade/replacement for a power fc just need a bit of work to get it running on a s15? so what advantages have you found using the ms3 over something like a power fc cause im still trying to get my head around what the advantages/disadvantages of the ms3 are because anyone that isn't TOTALLY knowledgeable would find there site very difficult to understand or I might just be a it slow to catch on

Well it would replace a Power FC.... I mean all fuel injected cars need an ECU... the standard ECU is great if you're running standard equipment... a powerFC/megasquirt/haltech/motec is just an ECU that allows you to change all the running parameters and engine maps; but they all do it in their own way... The advantage of the powerFC is that it is plug and play, very easy to use. Conversely, the major disadvantage of megasquirt/haltech etc is that you need to make your own loom, and that's not easy. The difference is, however, that the megasquirt/haltech/etc offer more tuning options than the PowerFC, as well as extensive datalogging, allowing you to pinpoint any problems with the engine quite easily. The biggest advantage though is that they will run closed-loop lambda control.. this means that with an exhaust oxygen sensor you can get standard-car fuel consumption without sacrificing power (in most cases). The better ECUs also support WAY more stuff like traction control, boost control, CAN, nitrous - pretty much anything you want really.

Either way tho, probably not what you need unless you get cashed up and wanna get serious. As people have said, the powerFC works. But if you DO want an upmarket ECU, my advice is to avoid the overpriced ECUs and go for the megasquirt.

And no you're not slow, engine control is very complicated. That's one of the things that makes the PowerFC so attractive, they design it for clowns to operate (and consequently, it's hamstrung in some areas but w/e).

Thanks for the big write up mate. Explained it well in noob terms :P

only reason I’m asking so much is because I’m thinking if its only like 650 I might as well buy one now and sell my power fc because yeh it will cost more to wire in and get going but at the end of the day the base ecu is extremely cheap compared to haltech and from what you have been saying It has all the features of these more exspensive ecus. And I reakon I could get around 5-6 hundred for my power fc anyways so not much of a change over

when you say I need to be cashed up do you have approx difference in price to install and tune with power fc to megasquirt?? Rough idea

I don't think it's a good idea... yet. Even if the ECU was free you'll still be spending around $200 on misc stuff to get it all wired in, unless you have all that stuff lying around already. Also, you've gotta learn quite a bit about the ECU before you get it because you have to set it up yourself... I'd look through the MS forum 'success stories' threads and you'll see the kinds of setups that are common with MS. Once you've done the RAS and had a good time driving for awhile with respect to all the advice you've been given; then think about it. The ECU itself -probably- won't make the car more powerful.

The key thing is, do the research thoroughly :P

See some mods... no research required, they're just great. Things like RAS (rocker arm stoppers), good tyres, etc. An ECU, like a turbo, comes with a whole lot of required time and parts to get it running well (and in the case of the turbo, you have a power trade-off too).

Edited by mUnky-matt

Thanks buddy ill stick to what ive got atm then LOL I still have to install all my current parts anyway ;)

im looking into the suspension area now since you all explained everything to me

cheers to everyone that helped

check with your chosen tuner before buying adifferent computer. they might not be familiar with and cost a bit more to setup etc

Sadly we can't impart years of experience over to you in just a few forum posts :( even if we did try, it would be rambling and complicated and ultimately boil down to: I wish I'd spent my money on hookers and blow...

nar jk but really, just drive... Put the current round of stuff on and just drive the poo out of the car until you figure out what you wanna do with it next. No internet build lists will give you the experience you want.

I actually posted this reply yesterday but in the wrong thread... : (

Edited by mUnky-matt

yeh I think ill be happy with what I got tbh at least for a while and im currently looking at the GKTech Full adjustable 4 main adjustable arms; castor, camber, toe and traction and as a package like the new v3 and a set of coil overs. so I can at least get some traction lol!. anyone have much to say about GKTech products and suspension in general?

How much do u want to spend on suspension? Are u looking to have a fully sick ride or suspension that is setup for speed/traction. Realistically for nice suspension new your looking at 1600-2000 g for good stuff for track handling and street. Or anything from 1000-1500 for a simple nice coilover. Hsd from driftworks look nice but may want to order a softer spring rate. Haven't used them so can't comment. But affordable priced for what u get.

Hsd from driftworks look nice but may want to order a softer spring rate. Haven't used them so can't comment.

I have HSD HRs and I think they are a good coilover in terms of height adjust-ability and damper adjustment. people who have been in my car think it is a little on the harsh side while the rest and myself think the ride comfort is alright for what it is. had them for almost 2 years now and cant fault them. in terms of suspension arms you will more than likely need upper rear camber arms as when the rear is dropped neg camber can be a problem. the other arms (in my case) weren't needed but as i bought the arms as a set that's what i installed.

How is it when you bump your dampened to soft? Also what spring rates and car u running?

springs ar 8kg front 6kg rear car is s14a thought display pic would of gave it away :P as for

How is it when you bump your dampened to soft?

I assume you mean how the car handles bumps,uneven surfaces,pot holes etc i do feel the bumps and in terms of contact after the drop they respond quite well and the stability is there. I run the front dampers at 6 clicks from soft while the rears are 8 clicks by memory.

i know i spent a good 4 days straight sorting out the suspension to the way i like it adjusted the ride height and found i like the front raised it sits 30mm higher than the rear, adjusted the dampers one click at a time there was differences between the clicks but nothing drastic and only felt the changes very slighty until i went from full soft on all back to the results i found i liked best then there was a definite change. then dialed in camber and toe.

Edited by FenrirWC

springs ar 8kg front 6kg rear car is s14a thought display pic would of gave it away :P as for

How is it when you bump your dampened to soft?

I assume you mean how the car handles bumps,uneven surfaces,pot holes etc i do feel the bumps and in terms of contact after the drop they respond quite well and the stability is there. I run the front dampers at 6 clicks from soft while the rears are 8 clicks by memory.

i know i spent a good 4 days straight sorting out the suspension to the way i like it adjusted the ride height and found i like the front raised it sits 30mm higher than the rear, adjusted the dampers one click at a time there was differences between the clicks but nothing drastic and only felt the changes very slighty until i went from full soft on all back to the results i found i liked best then there was a definite change. then dialed in camber and toe.

What you have done is key to getting the most out if your suss. Not many guys will do it and understand it like you do now. Guys will say a brand is crap. example my mates Zeals are crap they were hard and harsh as. (Car also slammed on bump stops with dampeners on hard). Then your result adjusted height accordingly and played with dampeners till you got the feel u wanted. Can't stress this enough to people buy suspension, playing with it and understanding it will give you great results with nearly any brand in the same price range! Do you run stock sway bars? How do you find the roll? I'm running 8f 6r in my s15 with white line bars and feels right but thinking of going back to stock to see the difference.

I just have the stock swaybar at the moment am looking into sway bars for a future upgrade been in an s15 with whiteline sway bars and it did feel more rigid almost got me thinking it may of been too stiff but turn in was good and transition through to corner exit felt pretty solid some part just before apex felt odd to me but didnt phase the driver one bit.

Suspension is one area that i really enjoy learning about and is something i always want to learn more on. The hardest thing i have had to learn about suspension was castor.... my god that hurt my head :(

Anyway back on topic for McGrath If you want to do basic ( and i mean basic) suspension mods my advice would be wider wheels and tyres first for more grip followed by coilovers and rear upper camber arms because you will most likely need them and the basic stops here. if you want more adjustability grab castor and toes arms (can usually buy castor,camber,toe arms cheaper as a bundle but you need to ask yourself if you really need them).

If you dont mind your ride height the way it is now you may be better off getting swaybars before coilovers but this comes down to personal preference. If coilovers seem to be out of your price range some new springs and struts may be a better choice although this can sometimes work out to be the same as the cost of coilovers and in some cases it can be greater.

Edited by FenrirWC

I found with my old sus with the same spring rates there was so much roll id bottom the shock out mid corner. put bars on and drop 4 secs a lap at norwell in qld, and got some new cusco zero2rs and feels much the same but you can feel the dampener works an absolute treat.. the great thing about the bars is it stiffens up the spring rate through corners but when exiting you still get the use of your soft spring rates in the rear allowing the car to squat and hook up. The advice above is spot on but would recommend a wheel alignment set up for spirited driving as this will change the whole feel of the car. check out a website called motoiq.com and read the suspension tech. you will learn so much and explains everything to do with setup/alignment. it also gives you base settings for your car. you can also check out the mca suspension website as theres a great read on there in realtion to coilover setup.

Thanks so much guys I ended up getting the full V3 adjustable arm package through gktech as so many people recommended them! Im also looking at there blue series coilovers for $1500 as I don't think I need to go to the expense of the red series($2550) as it will be my toy not a track car. I Already got the wheel's 255 40 r19 gotto see how i will fit them. So sway bars are a definate and noticeable upgrade? I am going to take it to a propper suspension place to get it all installed, alinned and working lol

Mca blue series*

Just install it yourself man, twiddle the arms so the wheels look vaguely in position, lock them off, cruise over to a wheel shop that does electronic alignments and get it aligned to whatever specs you like. MCA can probably recommend something decent in relation to coilover height and alignment, based on what they've tested.

As for installation.... 5 bolts per front strut, 3 bolts per rear strut, 6 bolts per swaybar, 2 bolts per suspension arm. Fairly straightforward.

Just install it yourself man, 5 bolts per front strut, 3 bolts per rear strut, 6 bolts per swaybar, 2 bolts per suspension arm. Fairly straightforward.

^ this all you need is a jack, jackstands sockets and a torque wrench (especially for doing up the lower bolts near the hub) Coilovers was the first mod i ever did and at the time i knew nothing about cars yet got them installed in an afternoon so if i could do it I'm sure anyone can

Honestly mate put the sus in and see how you like it. Don't throw bars at it unless you need to. If your not tracking it, it'll drive nicer without bars

Couldn't be bothered explaining. He needs adjustable bars to get it right and can't put sus or arms in so for him to adjust to get it right will cause more trouble than its worth. For a street car with mca sus I wouldn't run them! And yes the mca blues are base adjustable.

He can't turn a spanner, let alone setup a car.

Thanks mate...... forgot that I cant ask basic questions in

forums with out someone having to be too experienced and big headed to not be a smart ass

mate I know bugger all to guys out there, I was giving advice from my experience and research. Its not directed at you personally, when I first wanted bars for the track bling was the biggest advocate for not getting them. You are putting some of the best suspension in your car and set up well you wont need them. why would I say throw bars and this and that at it if you don't have a full understanding. I don't want to say put some on and possibly make your car serverly over steer or understeer and not be there to help you adjust them. I had crap suspension previously and having bars stiffened them up. when I first put them in the car was way to twitchy and unnessary for the street and had to be adjusted. I was going to get some custom ones made slightly small buy and Australian company. Its not personal, but you said yourself you wont put any of this gear in. S15s handle great with good suspension and a great alignment! Bling is the first person to say not to over modify cause it aint always better and if you don't understand how these mods can effect your car its so tru.

because the suspension works less independently, you know that, you told me that and when I put mine on that's what happened!