Sign in to follow this  
Stuss15

engine cooling for the track

I have posted about cooling a while ago in relation to my car. my current cooling setup is koyo rad/9psi cap and gktech fan with shroud. my track temp gets up to 90deg in winter and want to prepare for summer and idealy would like to keep it under 85 deg. will adding a 1.3 bar cap improve the cooling? or should I look at getting a low temp thermostat? nismo ones open at 62 which I think is to low for mild street and would barly get to tempreture. so im looking at a sard that opens at 68 deg or a tridon that opens same as stock but flows more water. also adding an oil cooler, will this change coolant temps as oil temp will be down also? any ideas thoughts are appreciated.

sould be fine as is. oil cooler will help coolant stay cooler as well. 90 is about perfect man. i personally wouldn't wanna run much cooler than that.

Changing to a higher pressure cap will only lift the boiling point of your coolant. It has no effect towards dropping your temps.

also if you really think you need/want a nismo thermostat, i have 1 i used for 1 track day for cheap. my car was running too cold :lol: though i had no front mount

Ahah no I'm not interested in a nismo, I haven't heard to many people say they can get there cr to temp lol. No worries thought I'd ask the question because ill be pulling everything out radiator fan ect to get my oil block in so was thinking throw a thermostat in while I'm at it.

Also where do I tap my temp sensor in for my defi gauges? Mate said get an adapter for your hot pipe and tap in there. Which sides the hot pipe? Top of the radiator?

Top rad hose. Get an adapter block, cut a section out of the hose, install the block and the gauge will screw straight in.

i have the same as the gktech one, even after hours on the dyno my temp gauge that reads from there is very close to the temp reading in the ecu, like maybe a degree or 2 different, so exhaust doesn't make much difference

cool as. i have heard from a couple of people that theirs read high. guess it depends on the turbo setup/heat sheilding

I think I'll run top rad hose adapter block. Do you know any nice ones that can be sourced in Australia?

The GKTech style spacer is a neat way of doing it.

FYI the best thing I did for cooling was ducting for the radiator (ASI 52mm) and cutting a hole where the number plate sits in my front bar (type x bar).

My temps didn't go over 85 last track day no matter how many laps I did.

i have the gktech coolant neck spacer and my water temp does read slightly higher than it actually is becuase it sits to close to the manifold

Don't really want to put wire ect around the mani, where can I get the othe attachment from? I can't do ducting which sucks cause my front mount will be in the way.

It doesn't have to be too extensive. I just have a cooling panel on the top and a flat sheet underneath joining the front bar to the radiator support.

That combined with the extra air flow from the bar cut out really made a massive difference.

I have my sensor for my Defis tapped into the top neck, but on the top, and forward. If you have a look there is a cast boss with thicker alloy perfect for drilling and tapping.

To keep my car cool ? Lol sump?

I have my sensor for my Defis tapped into the top neck, but on the top, and forward. If you have a look there is a cast boss with thicker alloy perfect for drilling and tapping.

How do u mean? I have a koyo rad. U drill and taped into the intake on the rad?

It doesn't have to be too extensive. I just have a cooling panel on the top and a flat sheet underneath joining the front bar to the radiator support.

That combined with the extra air flow from the bar cut out really made a massive difference.

This plus a vented bonnet would do wonders for airflow.

Into the water neck coming off if the motor.

yeah, more oil to heat up, bigger surface area underneath to help cool it down.

Sounds good in theory but does nothing for temp since I got my tomei sump.

Into the water neck coming off if the motor.

Nice could you post a pic? That would be the go and neat as. How thick is the casing?

whats funny about that is, you dont even realise

if any difference its so minor it cant be noticed. remember once it gets to temp, that it. no matter how much oils there. the only difference is it may take a little longer to heat up. ive put a sump on and its made no difference. I understand the principle behind it but the cooling offered buy the flat sump is not noticeable. if you were to reduce the amount of cooling of an oil cooler you cover one side with some alloy sheet. a sump doesn't have any fins on it for air cooling and where it is up so high it d do nothing as theres no airflow to it. its funny that you don't realise that.

my midnight mods one had fins.. but yeah. what were your oil temps before/after? and toes it take longer for it to get up to temp?

I have the tomei one, few degrees difference and takes a little longer to get up.

Stuss15, by saying that an increased sump, both surface area and volume, has no effect on cooling is a bit silly. If that was the case, why do people always go for a thicker radiator? More surface area and volume, yet according to you it has no effect on cooling? Seems a bit silly doesn't it? Considering your oil and water temps are both there for cooling, as well as lubrication on the oil side, and the fact they work side by side, cooling one down will help cool the other.

As for keeping your car cool on the track, read this. Was done by a guy on here OMGPHAM I believe. He did a heap of testing with cooling, thermostats etc. Here is the link. http://omgpham.com/tag/s15