Hey All

Just put a Gktech short shifter in my s14 today and just have a few queries for anyone who has one in their car. The shifter has dramatically increased the gearbox noise into the cabin and it's really loud! Also there is a really annoying rattle coming from the shifter internals under load and when coming off the accelerator, pretty much all the time actually. On the website they stated that " we have made internal modifications to help reduce vibrations associated with short shifters". Has anyone else who has one of these shifters experienced this? Any way I can reduce noise or is it just part of the parcel with having a shifter?? Any advice would be great!!!!

:thumb:

Funny you say that mines making noise its like a rattle in gear especially in decel in first and second

Hey guys. If it's the same as the one I had in my 180, like this http://www.gktech.com/index.php/sr20-5-speed-short-shifter.html it's the middle section of the gearstick that tapers down. I ended up wrapping mine in tape (bit rough but you can't see it) It used to get it's mean rattle on for me when I was getting to redline so it was kinda handy lol. And yeah, the in cabin noise increases quite a bit.

- Lance

Edited by Captain Wow

So the noise isn't in the actually mechanism it's in where the big tapered sleeve bit slips onto the lever?? The bit that's held on with the circlip?

I'm with bling . Short shifters are bad . Stock ftw .

C's Short Shifter.

No problems what so ever in any of the car's ive driven with C's be it SR box, or RB25 box lol.

The short shifter feels amazing I have no problem with the noise if thats all it is

Might have to check out cs shifter. Not worth the in cabin noise. Especially because its a street car. I just like the feel of a nice tight box .... Pun intended 😎

Might have to check out cs shifter. Not worth the in cabin noise. Especially because its a street car. I just like the feel of a nice tight box .... Pun intended 😎

atleast try taping up the Centre section will try this later

mose short shifters are like that. stock shifter ftw

i had a short shift, went back to stock, so much better, don't miss 2nd to 3rd on track now either ;)

Yeah it's the bit held on with the cerclip. I found my one really good to use other than the rattle, which I fixed. I didn't have the standard shifter to start off with so I couldn't comment on the extra noise however I can't say it really bothered me.

- Lance

I hate short shifters pointless mod and usually ppl always revert back to stock

Its not really a performance mod more a preference thing not by any means a racer or drifter but it feels good to drive and I havnt ground a gear since using it

I think the noise comes from the fact the new shifter is all metal where as the standard shifter comes out of the box, then is surrounded in rubber, then the thread section is over the top. So it dampens all vibrations.

The cause is actually the springs below the stick retention cap (plate with 4 allen keys), which sit below the horizontal bar that maintains the stick's vertical position in neutral. Wrapping the shaft in tape is just a bandaid; I bought a used shifter of that style for 20 bucks and it rattled like crazy, even with the shittonne of tape the seller had applied.

First, the springs had worn a groove in the horizontal bar, so I rotated it around 180 degrees using vice grips. This put fresh metal below the springs to tighten it up. Second, I removed the springs entirely and replaced them with two chunks of rubber each side (one softer and one harder) jammed in place. Lastly, I covered the horizontal bar with some heat-shrink tubing to dampen any impact with the side walls of the chamber. You would want to replace these parts each year, but it's not difficult.

This completely eliminated the rattling, although it took a bit of trial and error to find the right combination of rubber density. I then had problems with the gearknob (single grubscrew sphere) rattling loose, welded it in place, the cast iron of the knob eventually broke free from the weld, rewelded it, same problem, cracked the shits, reinstalled my DIY Nismo shifter and left it at that.

Edited by pmod

I'd go back to stock and sell it - i'f it aint broke dont fix -