Sign in to follow this  
SRR020silvia

Buying a car in Vic (I'm from SA)

Hey guys, found a car on carsales from Victoria (X-Trail), and was wondering who or what company/business I would call to have check the vehicle for me and give me the thumbs up, before I fly to Melbourne and pick it up and drive it back to Adelaide.

In SA we have RAA to check vehicles, not sure is Vic uses RAA?????

yep, you can arrange a RACV inspection via your RAA membership, will be $220 from memory.

Do the RAA/RACV provide reliable compression tests aswell.?? Or just general reports of its over all condition and potential problems with the engines ancillaries

Edited by brent47

How does the transaction work exactly? Never bought a car from interstate. I just sign the rego papers to transfer names, and thats it? What else would I need to do in SA? Would I need to take it through to regency to have the car checked?

yeah, fill out the VIC rego transfer paperwork etc & drive it home then it will need a vehicle identity check once in SA then you can get SA plates/rego/stamp duty etc... you might get sent for a roadworthy inspection if it's modified/dodgy.

the other option which is a bit sly, is to get it rego'd into your name in VIC with your SA license & then all you will need to do is fill out paper work for SA plates/Rego, no inspectin required.

have done both ways, 2nd option is less hassle but you need the person selling it to play ball.

Its only an x-trail I'm certain that it will pass through any inspection, doesnt bother me too much. Anything I should look out for just incase I get ripped off? Both sign rgo and tranfer papers and all sorted simple as that?

Edited by SRR020silvia