Sign in to follow this  
peterm13

Gay Marriage...For or Against?..and why?

NS Gay marriage  

85 members have voted

1. 1. Gay Marriage?

The media currently portrays Gay marriage as a topic that weighs heavily on voters decision making.

More and more states in U.S are legalising it.

The oxford dictionary in the UK has just updated their definition of marriage to parallel their recent change in legislation.

So are you FOR or AGAINST this law being passed in Australia ? and more importantly What are your reasons for holding that view ?

voted for

because really who gives a f**k what other people do lol

Voted For, because one day I want to settle down with a Wifey :)

Stephanie

voted for

voted for

voted for

For. If you don't like gay marriage, then don't have a gay marriage.

Edited by pyro

For it and I've never been sure why it's been such an issue for people. My reasons are everyone deserves to be happy and everyone deserves equal rights and benefits in regards to marriages. For instance, the recent NY Supreme Court case in regards to the woman that would have had to pay $300k in taxes or something for her partner because they couldn't legally marry and get those benefits.

The only argument I've heard against it (apart from homophobes just not admitting they find it 'icky') are that it'll snowball into allowing people to marry anything. Never seen any examples of this in regards to other areas of law, it's not like the US is now considering legalising Cocaine now that Marijuana is legalised.

Edited by keyhole150

For it and I've never been sure why it's been such an issue for people. My reasons are everyone deserves to be happy and everyone deserves equal rights and benefits in regards to marriages. For instance, the recent NY Supreme Court case in regards to the woman that would have had to pay $300k in taxes or something for her partner because they couldn't legally marry and get those benefits.

The only argument I've heard against it (apart from homophobes just not admitting they find it 'icky') are that it'll snowball into allowing people to marry anything. Never seen any examples of this in regards to other areas of law, it's not like the US is now considering legalising Cocaine now that Marijuana is legalised.

comics-Cyanide-%26-Happiness-gay-goat-762680.png

For.

any human should be able to choose what they want.

Plus, i just don't care.

I often have to laugh at people who harp on saying it ruins the sanctity of marriage.

Yeah, like straight people haven't already done that with rampant divorce rates stemming from people marrying with little or no consideration for how they are going to make it last beyond a month.

The other arguments just get dumber from there.

The next is, they believe in taking the bible literally and the bible says it is between a man and a woman (even though it says no such thing).

These same people don't murder people for working on Sundays, eat Pork, still wear clothes made of 2 different cloths and are against slavery (in contradiction to what is in the bible).

One more of my favourites is:

"we need a man and a woman to reproduce, if we allow gays to marry then no more children"

So essentially, these people are saying indirectly that the only thing stopping them from having a gay relationship is the fact that they cannot marry, and they assume we all think that way :lol:

Edited by Chappy

Does that mean if we legalize gay marriage sooner or later everyone will become gay and we will have to open up baby farms to keep the human race going?

I really don't care what other people do.

Edited by SpotMan

Does that mean if we legalize gay marriage sooner or later everyone will become gay and we will have to open up baby farms to keep the human race going?

If gay marriage was legalised would you turn gay?

f**k... Just read won't I wrote >

I'm all for gay marriage, as long as both chicks are hot :P

In all seriousness though, it shouldn't even be called GAY marriage. It's the marriage of two people, who gives f**k what their sexual preference is. If two people want to get married they should be able to and it should just be respected and recognised as their union, not a gay marriage.

Voted for.

Mainly because anything to piss off religious nut jobs, I'm all for.

Also, because how does it effect me either way what other people do.

way i figure it. is it a penis shoved up your ass?

no its not. therefor it doesnt matter to you

Hey mate, just have some questions about the arguments you put forward.

I often have to laugh at people who harp on saying it ruins the sanctity of marriage.

Yeah, like straight people haven't already done that with rampant divorce rates stemming from people marrying with little or no consideration for how they are going to make it last beyond a month.

I think these people would say marriage has an ideal that we should strive towards. Just because some have fallen shorter than others, does that mean people should give up their ideals altogether ?

eg. Would that be like reasoning: "Everyone thinks its a good idea not to hurt other people. Some people have hurt others. So now we shouldn't make a big deal about people hurting each other" ?

The next is, they believe in taking the bible literally and the bible says it is between a man and a woman (even though it says no such thing).

The Bible does say marriage is between a man and a woman. It also speaks about same sex relationships being forbidden ( for christian believers )

I'm not trying to turn this into a Bible / Christianity discussion so i left out your other bible objections to keep it on topic.

I think bible lovers are the only people against it...

I think these people would say marriage has an ideal that we should strive towards. Just because some have fallen shorter than others, does that mean people should give up their ideals altogether ?

eg. Would that be like reasoning: "Everyone thinks its a good idea not to hurt other people. Some people have hurt others. So now we shouldn't make a big deal about people hurting each other" ?

But we are not talking about throwing out a rule because others are breaking it, we are talking about a rule that already has circumvention clauses added to it, so why not add another?

It would be like saying: "assault is illegal, full stop...... unless the person is wearing a red shirt, then it is ok." Then in the other sentence arguing that legallising the assault of people wearing green shirts defeats the purpose of the law.

This of course is also missing the fact that marriage was not created by the bible or by Christians. Marriage has been a part of human civillization for thousands of years before Christianity ever began.

The Bible does say marriage is between a man and a woman. It also speaks about same sex relationships being forbidden ( for christian believers )

Leviticus 20:13

If a man lies with a man as one lies with a woman, both of them have done what is detestable. They must be put to death; their blood will be on their own heads.

It details sex as an abomination, something that we have long since disregarded. Marriage is completely different.

If you want to go out stoning gays to death and face the murder charges based on orders from a 2,000 year old fiction novel, go right ahead. It does not justify an opposition to marriage of two men, only an opposition to them having sex.

:edit:

And i will re-iterate.

Australia is a secular state, our laws are not based on religion.

Christianity did not create marriage, it does not hold exclusive powers over its use.

Christians adopted marriage from existing cultures of the day.

Therefore, even if the bible did say "homosexuals are not allowed to marry" it would still be moot, because nobody is demanding that gays be allowed to have a Christian wedding, they merely want to be married in the eyes of Australian law.

Edited by Chappy

I voted for

Mainly because I don't care and I think the world has bigger issues to worry about

At the moment the only thing standing in the way of gay marriage is the Australian Christian Lobby.

Politicians are afraid of allowing gay marriage because they don't want to lose the big chunk of voters the ACL claims to represent.

Any time a politician thinks of going against the ACL, they look at the census data to see how many people identified themselves as Christian and decide if they want to lose that many votes.

In short, everybody who wrote "Christian" or any sub section of it (ie "Catholic" "Orthodox") on their last census sheet have effectively voted against gay marriage.

Edited by Chappy

Voted For, however on one condition it not be called called marriage. Why change the definition and not create a new name for it. Its not as if new names or titles aren't created for new/different things.

For.

You can get hitched in court and it's just a legal matter with no religious attachment so why people say it's ruining their values I don't know because sanctity went out the window ages ago.

If you are against it then you're a tard, and if that offends you then your priorities are out of order. In 50 years you will look as dumb as the people who said blacks couldn't go to white people swimming pools, movie theaters etc.

Voted For, however on one condition it not be called called marriage. Why change the definition and not create a new name for it. Its not as if new names or titles aren't created for new/different things.

Why not call it marriage? Is it not the union of two people committed to one another as per a heterosexual marriage?

f**k... Just read won't I wrote &--#62;&--#60;

Quoted. So that it may never go away :lol:

Why not call it marriage? Is it not the union of two people committed to one another as per a heterosexual marriage?

Maybe he's already married and wants out? :P

Edited by pyro

There is nothing wrong with gay marriage, aslong as both the chick are hot........ But two blokes thats f**kedup, gay dirty bum sex aint no good.. Lesbian 69 sex is good end story.

f**k... Just read won't I wrote &--#62;&--#60;

Quoted. So that it may never go away laugh.png

f**k :lol:

Coming from a convertible driver... ?

Coming from a convertible driver... ?

tigger-gay-costume-man.jpg

Edited by SpotMan