Sign in to follow this  
pyro

Australian Motoring Enthusiasts Party needs your support!

Well it looks like AMEP got it's 1st little bit of media coverage...

from a story on abc news...

Greens leader Christine Milne expects to share power with a "plethora" of other parties after next July.

"I had a look at the motoring enthusiasts and say they want unfettered access to the environment. I think that means four-wheel drives and off-road vehicles and so on," she said.

They also briefly covered it on 'The Drum', where they basically think AMEP is some sort of "extremist" party for 4wd enthusiasts....LOL... Don't you just love the quality of journalism in Australia?

Oh well I guess that's better than the rant my old man had today about the LDP and AMEP. Some how he has managed to come to the conclusion that all the people who are involved with AMEP and those that voted for them are "all unemployed bludgers who shouldn't have the right vote because they just want to bludge off the government?????" (Sorry, but it just was so ridiculous that i just had to share that with somebody and I am currently taking steps to disown him as my father) :doh::whack:

Anyways back to my main point, it seems this has already given the establishment a bit of a shakeup, with may complaining about smaller parties gaming the system. Ironic how the powers that be who have set up and gamed the system for so long in order to maintain there monopoly on power are now whinging because the people have been paying attention and are now starting to use there own tactics against them. And as for this idea that the LDP only got a seat because of there name, come on, they've had that name for a while now and it wasn't an issue in previous elections.

Here's the full story for those of you who are interested....

Minor parties to play key role in Senate make-up

New minor parties appear set to play a key role in the Senate, with billionaire Clive Palmer's party likely to pick up two spots, in Queensland and Tasmania, and a party for motoring enthusiasts on track to win a seat in Victoria.

Vote counting for the Senate is continuing and preference deals mean even a tiny percentage of the popular vote can influence the outcome.

The Senate will remain under the control of Labor and the Greens until mid-2014 and after that it appears an assortment of parties will play a key role in what Tony Abbott can achieve.

In a surprise result, former rugby league player Glenn Lazarus appears to have claimed a Queensland Senate seat for the Palmer United Party(PUP), which is also likely to be represented by Jacqui Lambie in Tasmania.

The Australian Motoring Enthusiasts Party's Ricky Muir could secure a Senate spot in Victoria, while the Australian Sports Party may pick up a seat in Western Australia.

West Australian Labor Senator Mark Bishop says the Sports Party result would come in spite of the party only attracting a small amount of the primary vote.

"I think the Sports Party had 225 primary votes and a quota is something in the order of 123,000 votes in Western Australia so to do that is a remarkable outcome," he said.

"But that is the system, everyone knows that and the Senate is a process distribution of preferences."

Independent Nick Xenophon and the Greens' Sarah Hanson-Young are likely to retain their seats in South Australia, where Family First's Bob Day also appears to have claimed a seat.

Many people in the major parties believe name confusion is the reason the Liberal Democratic Party is on track to have a Senator elected in New South Wales.

Liberal Democrat David Leyonhjelm has secured 8.89 per cent of the vote with 69.29 per cent of the votes counted.

The Coalition's Senate leader, Eric Abetz, has accused the Liberal Democratic Party of playing games with the electoral system.

"They simply used the name to garner votes to then distribute out to minor parties and came nowhere near the Liberal Party where it counted," he said.

"That is a matter that brings the democratic process into disrepute when people see that they are being gamed, they are being tricked people will lose confidence in the democratic system and ultimately that will need to be looked at."

'Bizarre preference flows all over the shop': Xenophon

Speaking to the ABC's Insiders program, Senator Xenophon described the results as "very interesting".

"It happens because of the way preference flows work and there are harvesting of preferences," he said.

"I didn't get any advantage from anyone. I always had to win basically two full quotas in order for my running mate to get up but there is a lack of transparency in terms of preference deals.

"For instance, in South Australia, the Greens preferenced the climate sceptics ahead of my running mate who actually believes in climate change and believes that something needs to be done about it in a very constructive way.

"So, all sorts of bizarre preference flows all over the shop. Clive Palmer, a coal miner, preferenced the Greens ahead of my running mate in South Australia. You go figure."

Labor luminary and failed candidate Peter Beattie says he will no longer be Australia's only political "media tart" should Mr Palmer enter Parliament.

"One thing that will happen no-one will be able to ignore Clive. If he wins that seat and he's got a Senator, Glenn Lazarus, even if it is just the two of them, you're going to see an interesting state," he said.

"The Labor Party and the Greens may not have the numbers in the Senate, and if Clive has the balance of power ... you're going to have to say a big prayer but you're going to have a lot of fun."

Greens leader Christine Milne expects to share power with a "plethora" of other parties after next July.

"I had a look at the motoring enthusiasts and say they want unfettered access to the environment. I think that means four-wheel drives and off-road vehicles and so on," she said.

"That gives you a bit of an insight where they're coming from. I also looked at the Sporting Australia Party and they're all for a healthier Australia and more involvement in physical exercise and sport. We could work with them in making Australia healthier."

The Greens look to have increased their Senate representation by picking up a seat in Victoria.

Pros and cons for Labor as Peris in, Farrell likely out

Olympian Nova Peris, who was Julia Gillard's "captain's pick" for the Senate, has become the first Indigenous woman to be elected to federal Parliament after winning a seat in the Northern Territory.

"It is a good accomplishment and backs up our accomplishment in terms of jobs for Indigenous Australians," Labor powerbroker Bill Shorten said.

However in a blow to Labor, Don Farrell appears to have been edged out of the Senate after sacrificing his top spot on the ticket to ensure the return of Penny Wong.

"That was the right decision to make at the time. I've got no regrets about that," he told ABC News.

"I'm a person who likes to look forward rather than back. We've had to make some tough decisions over this period of time. The party has been very divided in the past. We need to reunite now."

The WikiLeaks Party did not pick up any seats, but founder Julian Assange says he is still pleased with its performance in the election.

"The party was registered exactly three months ago and we are the second largest vote count for the new parties after Clive Palmer's party, which had a million bucks behind it," he said.

According to the ABC's election calculator, which models the Senate result, the Coalition is on track to pick up 33 seats across Australia.

In contrast it predicts Labor has taken 25, while the Greens will claim 10 seats and eight will go to other parties.

The final vote count for the Senate will not be finalised for days.

Edited by sweepa

So apparently the LDP is being 'blamed' for the distribution of preferences to smaller parties.

It amazes me that the major parties can toy with this system for so long, and when people start exercising their right to choose they have a cry.

I voted for the AMEP..... so sick of the bullshit that comes with owning a performance car (even when you are respecting road rules)

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-09-09/victorian-senate-candidate-from-the-australian-motoring-enthusi/4945886

"Mr Muir had also posted a number of videos on YouTube but they have been made private since the election.

In one of them, he is seen mucking around with friends and family as they try to fling kangaroo faeces at each other."

Edited by mUnky-matt

Not the worst thing a politician has done, although a cleaner start would have been ideal...

Edited by mitch_32

It's no big deal, since he's angling for the 'common man' theme; it works quite well. The article says something to that effect down the bottom anyway. I just thought it was rather amusing :P

I am, however, disappointed that Ricky Muir has been sucked into the 911 conspiracy stuff :P

C'mon Ricky, we voted you in, now pull your shit together and make some real changes happen for the community.

Maybe start with this BS

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/victoria/drivers-face-1000-bill-to-fix-up-clunkers/story-fni0fit3-1226699529348

Edited by HumanHefner

C'mon Ricky, we voted you in, now pull your shit together and make some real changes happen for the community.

Maybe start with this BS

http://www.heraldsun...3-1226699529348

Holy SHIT, Yeah Ricky better get ontop of that and make some good arguments to beat that. Holy hell that is cancer.

Maybe start with this BS

http://www.heraldsun...3-1226699529348

Holy SHIT, Yeah Ricky better get ontop of that and make some good arguments to beat that. Holy hell that is cancer.

That is a state issue, it will have nothing to do with him.

Don't expect too much from him, we might not be able to make any significant changes for at least one or 2 more elections.

The key to success is persistence, the AMEP needs to grow a lot more yet.

plus we're not sure how the below-the-line votes will turn out, as they don't follow regular preference flows. So for now, just wait and see how it all turns out.

Edited by mUnky-matt

I know I shouldn't get worked up over mainstream media but they are attacking Ricky before he has even spoken about anything, the researchers don't have any clue what AMEP is about (AMEP's fault maybe?) and it's all looking like the worst thing since Labor in the last election...

Did anyone at AMEP not think it would be a good idea to clean up their candidates history BEFORE the election? They say any publicity is good publicity but having 3 women on sunrise write off the party having no idea about it really pissed me off.

i for one have to say im pretty surprised they (possibly) have a seat

im just hoping this guy can manage to step up and give us guys a good representation. (which so far. not so great)

that said otd be nice to know theyre view on most of the bigger issues.

I know I shouldn't get worked up over mainstream media but they are attacking Ricky before he has even spoken about anything, the researchers don't have any clue what AMEP is about (AMEP's fault maybe?) and it's all looking like the worst thing since Labor in the last election...

Did anyone at AMEP not think it would be a good idea to clean up their candidates history BEFORE the election? They say any publicity is good publicity but having 3 women on sunrise write off the party having no idea about it really pissed me off.

The people on Sunrise would have found any number of reasons to mock the party, regardless of what was done to clean up the history.

Their target audience are the very people who push for 'hoon' laws.

Yeah I wouldn't worry about any bad press yet; bear in mind that he doesn't yet have the seat anyway!

That said, AMEP need to formulate policies quickly and effectively if they want to be taken seriously. Being taken seriously is pretty important. Ricky will need quite a bit of grooming in order to -not- f**k up in public, which is very easy to do these days :P

No, the media are really attacking him now.

He's got to be quick and act. He needs to go to interviews (or arrange them) and turn the issues away from him and to the policies of AMEP.

For example, he could capitalize on this 'roo poo throwing fight' bad press by reinforcing that he's just an everyday Australian who loves the outdoors, camping, and isn't afraid to get his hands dirty.

He's got to be quick and act. He needs to go to interviews (or arrange them) and turn the issues away from him and to the policies of AMEP.

For example, he could capitalize on this 'roo poo throwing fight' bad press by reinforcing that he's just an everyday Australian who loves the outdoors, camping, and isn't afraid to get his hands dirty.

agreed, Sunrise, The Project and ABC have all had a go at attacking these small parties saying they have no right have a seat (despite the larger parties, esp the greens who have exploited preferential system for years!) and in particular AMEP as a "crazy"

I'm sure the media, in addition to the people who voted for them would like to see some formal policies brought to the media and to defend the reason they applied for a seat in the first place. It's quite offensive that the media have decided that these parties don't deserve a place and to even think they could hold the balance of power. The advantage here (and what the media are afraid of) is to get the support of the smaller parties to pass policy in government would require major party support for the smaller parties policies. This is why it's important to go front the media with policy that's well thought out.

Be warned though, just like on the project, they will ask for the AEMP's thoughts on bigger issues to try and discredit their ability if you don't have a strong response.

agreed, Sunrise, The Project and ABC have all had a go at attacking these small parties saying they have no right have a seat (despite the larger parties, esp the greens who have exploited preferential system for years!) and in particular AMEP as a "crazy"

I'm sure the media, in addition to the people who voted for them would like to see some formal policies brought to the media and to defend the reason they applied for a seat in the first place. It's quite offensive that the media have decided that these parties don't deserve a place and to even think they could hold the balance of power. The advantage here (and what the media are afraid of) is to get the support of the smaller parties to pass policy in government would require major party support for the smaller parties policies. This is why it's important to go front the media with policy that's well thought out.

Be warned though, just like on the project, they will ask for the AEMP's thoughts on bigger issues to try and discredit their ability if you don't have a strong response.

Very very good points.

If Muir does become a Senator, i really do hope he (or the AMEP) employs an experienced political adviser.

Fark. Advertiser tore shreds off the bloke.

"Unemployed father of 5"

http://www.news.com....p-1226715178383

Article from yesterday, media seems to be going after the smaller parties that got seats, but I guess Muir is an easier target to focus on

I hope Muir has a spotless driving record, media will probably have a field day if he has a bunch of speeding fines or other stuff

Edited by 180fan

Fark. Advertiser tore shreds off the bloke.

"Unemployed father of 5"

That could be taken as a real positive.

"Even an Unemployed father of 5, with a passion for standing up for what's right for his family, can become a Senator"

Article from yesterday, media seems to be going after the smaller parties that got seats, but I guess Muir is an easier target to focus on

I hope Muir has a spotless driving record, media will probably have a field day if he has a bunch of speeding fines or other stuff

The only reason why they are easy targets is because the general public/media no nothing about the party. (This is what they need to work on)

Unlike the LDP, or other minorities, this is AMEP's first grab at politics.

:doh:

I gotta say, its an obvious lack of foresight that allows that kind of easy to search information on yourself to surface.

oh well, at least he doesn't sound like as MUCH as a nut case as some of those other parties.

Edited by HumanHefner

The only reason why they are easy targets is because the general public/media no nothing about the party. (This is what they need to work on)

Unlike the LDP, or other minorities, this is AMEP's first grab at politics.

I agree with you, but I think Muir's biggest problem at the moment is having left all that stuff out in the open. IMO the smart move would have been to disable his facebook account, youtube, etc a bit before the election. At least then the criticism would focus more on the party, and less on the guy himself. That would hopefully get a bit of news out there about the AMEP and its policies, rather than it being about the dude who throws roo poo around and is also a senator.

20/20 hindsight though, and theres probably not a lot that can be done about it. Odds are this will all be forgotten anyway the first time Abbot puts his foot in his mouth as PM

As I said earlier, none of that stuff really matters. The media already have more than enough poo to sling at him (lol). To be taken truly seriously, what matters is his ability to formulate policies and voting guidance based on the values of the representation that he was voted for. If he can't articulate why AMEP exists or what it strives to do, it will fail. If he can't paint AMEP as a responsible, unified, articulate group, it's going to be shredded on the senate floor.

My real concern is just that AMEP has no guiding principles within the Australian political atmosphere. People are divided on environmental and economic issues; where does AMEP stand with regards to marine park protection? Coal Seam Gas mining? Is AMEP representing left-wing or right-wing economics?

My fear is that AMEP will become another right-wing joke instead of an informed central party.

Although it is a bit of a dirty tactic to attack the person and not their policies, they have brought light to the fact he isn't the right man for the job. His twitter account is embarrassing. Surely out of all the candidates, there was a better person to represent the AMEP.

I don't see him bringing anything to the table. He's not educated, not a good speaker, doesn't exactly has a clean record and so far isn't out there announcing policies.

Edited by steveP