Sign in to follow this  
nz.intensity

Ebay clutches

Ok so my clutch is totally worn and needs to be changed. I'm doing the labour myself, so I just need to buy the disc.

I found this Exedy one on ebay:

http://www.ebay.com....=item1c33342942

My car's a 180SX SR20DET. It's 99% daily driver so I heard organic is what I want (which that clutch is). So yeah I can't think of any reason NOT to buy that one (I'm busy as hell for the next few weeks so delivery isn't an issue either).

Can anyone think of a reason I shouldn't buy this one? Any advice before I lock it in?

Get a Clutch kit, if you clutch is f**ked 80% chance the pressure plate is f**ked. plus its always good to replace the thrust bearing while your there

Why would the pressure clutch be gone? (i believe u, and i see most sales include pressure plate, just curious)

Because the pressure plate wears away too and will be 'bedded' for the original clutch. It's so cheap that there's no point in having it machined (not even sure you can). You'll need to get the flywheel machined too for the same reason as the pressure plate, this stops hot spots and uneven wear. Shouldn't cost more than $50.

Ok cheers, i'll look at a kit. Also when clutches say heavy duty, what does that really mean? stronger material? more material? heavier clamping pressure plate?

It means more clamping force, but the friction disc in most of the Exedy HD kits I've seen are pretty much OEM replacements, so there's not much point and it becomes more of a marketing term.

Ok so it's looking to be either the extreme

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Extreme-Heavy-Duty-Clutch-Kit-to-Nissan-200SX-S14-180SX-S13-SR20DET-Turbo-/321151399740?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4ac61d773c

or the exedy

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Exedy-Heavy-Duty-Clutch-kit-Nissan-S13-S14-SR20DET-Silvia-180SX-200SX-/221000831725?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3374ad12ed

Now granted the exedy is no doubt better, but would it really make a difference for me? I'm not pushing far beyond stock, and it'll pretty much be exclusive daily driver. That being said, I definitely do want to be quick off the line when needed ;)

The exedy is 50% more so i really wanna know where that extra $$ went if i do get it

Def buy a kit and if funds allow get flywheel but a machine of old one should suffice

From memory Extreme mix and match their clutch parts (what ever company is releasing the cheapest part at the time) so its not always 100% what you get

Where as Exedy make all their products

Exedy over extreme,

All my clutches are now exedy

Replace flywheel bolts pivot ball thrust bearing spigot bush and machine flywheel like everyone says. About $100 for all of that

I wouldn't buy those clutches, I've had 1x mate and myself have issues with these clutches.. for some whatever so reason the pressure plate doesn't clamp properly so there is uneven wear on the plate.

My kit came with my car, which I removed and replaced with NPC 10" Carbotic, my mates car same shit we put one in.. was total bullshit, took it out 1/2 a year later threw it in the bin and put in an Exedy kit never looked back.

Exedy kits with the pink pressure plate are made in Australia, Exedy kits with the silver pressure plate are made in Japan. I've had a pink HD Organic and HD 5-puck which were ok, however the clutch pedal resistance was very high. Removing the clutch damper lines and installing a Nismo slave helped, but it was still quite heavy.

Installed an Exedy silver 3-puck sprung button clutch in my recent rebuild (finally got the car registered and have been driving around) and with the Nismo slave the pedal pressure is the same or perhaps even less than my mother's Corolla. The Jap-made Exedy clutches sh*t all over the Aussie ones in terms of pressure plate design. That said, being a 3 puck it bites hard, so I have to rev-match on my downshifts or else I'm greeted with a tonne of shudder, which is to be expected.

Bought from here in the US: http://stores.ebay.c...pforce-clutches

Got Expedited Delivery for a few dollars more (50 or so), and it took around 3 days to arrive in Sydney.

Edited by pmod

The pink pressure plates are re-manufactured OEM spec pressure plates in Australia, they're not even made here just remanufactured lol

I imagine a few drunken lads bending back the tabs and spraying it pink LOL

NEVER use the pink ones, they're shit.

The pink pressure plates are re-manufactured OEM spec pressure plates in Australia, they're not even made here just remanufactured lol

I imagine a few drunken lads bending back the tabs and spraying it pink LOL

NEVER use the pink ones, they're shit.

Close enough. Cheers for the info though.

you can machine a s13 flywheel, you cannot machine the s15 dual mass flywheel.

while you are at it you could get the flywheel you have lightened and machined :D

There are only two Exedy clutches for the SR20 in their range of eBay listings:

I got this one, which is not going to be what you're looking for:

http://www.ebay.com....=item257dfc1172

This is the other, which is an organic:

http://www.ebay.com....=item257f140898

I couldn't tell you whether that organic is exactly what you require, as we don't know what power you're running, whether you clutch kick a lot, etc, so it would be better that you contact Gripforce (or whoever else) and ask them. They likely have more in the range they can get from their supplier that is not listed on ebay atm.

That said, their oem-replacement Exedy clutch is really f**king cheap, even with delivery. You can keep your kidneys and have enough change left over for a bottle of JD to mess them up.

while you are at it you could get the flywheel you have lightened and machined biggrin.png

Personally I wouldn't do this. If you keep oem, just machine it. There was a thread on NS about this recently iirc.

Edited by pmod

Alright guys, thanks for all ur help, but we're getting a little sidetracked here. Also getting a little over my budget.

What's a good "hard daily driver" clutch kit I can get for cheap? Any brand at all. What would you recommend?

@pmod: didn't see ur post before saying this. I'll take a looksee at that organic, cheers

Edited by nz.intensity

Kudos seems to have most of the ones we're looking at:

http://www.kudosmoto...?sort=4a&page=1

Colour = pressure plate colour, not box

$330 Silver standard (NSK-6531)

$445 Pink Heavy Duty (NSK-6531HD)

$519 Silver Sports organic (NSK-6531SO)

Add in the xtreme for completeness

$300 Xtreme Heavy Duty (KN24003-1A)

So I figure the silver sports organic is pretty much the same as pink heavy duty, but with higher quality pressure plate, and more springs on disc. Ok it's the clear winner yes? I'll get that if I can afford the extra.

Ok so pros and cons of the others:

Silver standard. +Quality PP so even wear, +price , -regular duty so might wear faster?

Pink HD. -Quality so MAY not wear evenly, -price, +HD so should last longer (if even wear?)

Xtreme HD. --Quality so MAY not wear evenly, +price, +HD so should last longer (if even wear?)

That about the size of it?

Edited by nz.intensity

The main con of the Exedy HD pink is the super-heavy clutch pedal; I haven't seen uneven wear on them. Lifespan of oem versus HD is more dependant on how you drive, shift, blend, kilowatts/torque, etc than clamping force. If you clutch kick a lot, then more clamping force will stop the clutch from slipping during the drivetrain shock and eventually getting cooked, and the same is true if you're running a lot more power and torque than factory.

Never used Xtreme so I personally have no input on that.

Edited by pmod

Thanks for the help all. I'll probably roll the dice with the xtreme but we'll see when the time comes.

After joining different websites that are related to the sale of different women accessories like clutches are useful. Build your own page essaybot review is very good as it can gives us no time limitation and worries.