Sign in to follow this  
TypeXPilot

Oil level S14 sr20det

Hi, recently had a major service done on my 180 and have just checked the oil level and noticed it is way over the full mark on the dip stick. Not a couple of mms over, its the same distance over as the distance between high and low (ie over a cm). Is this safe? or am i going to run into problems with it so high?

ive heard of overfilling slightly for ensured pick up, but worried with how high it is atm.

Any help?

Also, if it needs draining, how much roughly would it be over?

Did you check it just after you ran it or when its been sitting for awhile

damn. was hoping someone wasnt gonna say that. shoulda just changed the oil on my own to start with as i doubt they did anything special to it seeing as they couldnt even get the oil level right and im still gonna have to get my hands dirty. (probs dirtier than a regular change as ill have to hold the plug and let it drain down my hand hey)

Did the oil look frothy on the dip stick? The main thing to worry about is overfilling to the point where the crankshaft churns the oil frothy, as the trapped oil bubble get pumped through the engine and compromises the lubrication of bearings. This is the worse case scenario.

If the additional oil level is still below the windage plate then it is probably harmless. However the issue is knowing if this is so.

Safest bet is to complain and have them suck some oil out the dipstick tube or drain a bit of it.

Edited by stockblues15

nah doesnt look frothy. but ill just drain it. cbf going back as if i just do it myself, then i know its done right.

cheers for the help guys.

off to get dirty.

Why not take it back to the dipstick who over filled it?

Been there done that, best to do it yourself mate :thumb:

remember to use jack stands and smoke lots of weed before doing it

:lol: that's a winning combination right thurrr

Edited by DRE20