Sign in to follow this  
Lucas.

Stupidly priced petrol

Surely someone has some knowledge to explain to me why they are so high???

Us $ is under 90c

Crude oil is 105$ a barrel

So why am I paying a premium. Someone educate me before I decapitate the next servo owner I see

Sincerely. One f**king pissed off motorist

Petrol companies really control the world... if they were to even double the current price people would still buy it as the world relies on it!

Diesel is never cheap... petrol always fluctuates but diesel only even seems to go up :/

f**k knows, they will blame it on the high dollar now :lol: took these 2 pics a few months ago, they are about 1km from each other on opposite side of a divided road

PhotoGrid_1368942302969_zps9055a145.jpg

Diesel should always be cheaper then petrol from what ice been told it need less refining less work =

Less cost ?

Someone's making a f**king killinh

Or buy a 2cyl.

I drove the rx7 daily for a week and a bit...had to Fill up with 98 every few days... Got rediculous pricey!

Since they did away with the pricing cycle i have been watching the price of diesel to gauge when it is a good time to fill up.

If petrol is around 15c a litre cheaper than diesel, its time to fill up.

Diesel should always be cheaper then petrol from what ice been told it need less refining less work =

Less cost ?

Car owners clued on to the lower costs of Diesel years ago, so manufacturers made more diesel cars, so petrol companies raised the price of diesel.... Not price gouging at all.

Once the weather gets a little warmer I'm going to start riding the pushie to work. 10kms each way is f**k all and will save a fair bit on fuel given I'll be driving the wife's Sil80 more towards the end of this year and all of next year.

PhotoGrid_1368942302969_zps9055a145.jpg

That's what pisses me off!, even worse is when a servo further away (45 mins north of where i live) from the depot is almost 20 cents cheaper then then your local

Less cost ?

Once the weather gets a little warmer I'm going to start riding the pushie to work. 10kms each way is f**k all and will save a fair bit on fuel given I'll be driving the wife's Sil80 more towards the end of this year and all of next year.

I was going to start riding the pushie to work, then forgot about that plan and bought a 2cyl, so safe to say the mav and rx7 will hardly get driven soon and i'll have a choice of handi van or fitness depending on the weather!

Also you love mentioning about the sil80!

Edited by SpotMan

Diesel should always be cheaper then petrol from what ice been told it need less refining less work = Less cost ? Someone's making a f**king killinh

11% of the refining process of ULP i believe...

I think the worst Ive seen is the North Parramatta 7 Eleven had unleaded at something like 1.36 and a couple hours later it was 1.54 lol.

High petrol price = tax used to buy more 80k cars for HWP to lurk in traffic in.

Dat conspiracy.

I went from driving the 13 daily costing about $80pw to a ford ba boat for about $27pw! The sil is loving not having to do 600+kms pw LPG daily for the win

Ok I will try and shed some light on the whole thing.

Oil is now at $109.7 a barrel largely due to the unrest in Syria and a possible strike by UN forces. Obviously this creates a lot of uncertainty in the region and has an effect on supply. This also explain (somewhat) why you are seeing such volatility in the price at the pump.

The AUD is weakening against most international currencies not just the USD, making our buying power for imported oil/petrol weaker.

Our petrol and oil however is based on the Asian region price that comes out of Singapore, so US prices for petrol are irrelevant just like EU prices are as well. A better comparison is what is the Petrol price in Singapore, HK and Japan. FYI petrol in Singapore right now is at S$2.30 which is about $1.99AUD. That prices is just simply arrived at through sheer supply and demand in the region, one significant downside to the Asia Pacific region doing so well economically is that there is a great demand on oil/petrol.

If the crisis in Syria continues I would expect petrol prices to continue to rise over the next 12 months especially as the Northern Hemisphere goes into winter and many of the world largest refineries start shutting down for it.

Edited by Shakey Bones

Get over it, southern australia wouldn't know high prices if it hit them in the face.

In Darwin in 2009 I was paying $2.15 p/L for BP Ultimate...

Edited by mitch_32

Get over it, southern australia wouldn't know high prices if it hit them in the face.

Thats cool. I also once payed $3:10 for diesel in the middle of the bush. Your argument is invalid.

Standard price going from 1.20 to 1.50 to me is high from Adelaide

Ok I will try and shed some light on the whole thing.

Oil is now at $109.7 a barrel largely due to the unrest in Syria and a possible strike by UN forces. Obviously this creates a lot of uncertainty in the region and has an effect on supply. This also explain (somewhat) why you are seeing such volatility in the price at the pump.

The AUD is weakening against most international currencies not just the USD, making our buying power for imported oil/petrol weaker.

Our petrol and oil however is based on the Asian region price that comes out of Singapore, so US prices for petrol are irrelevant just like EU prices are as well. A better comparison is what is the Petrol price in Singapore, HK and Japan. FYI petrol in Singapore right now is at S$2.30 which is about $1.99AUD. That prices is just simply arrived at through sheer supply and demand in the region, one significant downside to the Asia Pacific region doing so well economically is that there is a great demand on oil/petrol.

If the crisis in Syria continues I would expect petrol prices to continue to rise over the next 12 months especially as the Northern Hemisphere goes into winter and many of the world largest refineries start shutting down for it.

Just the answer I was after!

No wonder American is "stepping in" . Fuggin oil bandits

Anyone will tell you just about everything is going to have a lower price in the states (that doesn't always mean it's cheaper). We have higher salaries but higher prices. Go google what the average American salary if you don't believe me.

Also gotta consider that there are alot more people, alot more businesses therefore alot more competition, and of course more demand for fuel which means they buy more and potentially pay less for buying it in larger quantities.

As for those genuinely greedy service station price setters... we'll get ours when electric cars get mainstraim.

NS in 2040: "how do I get flutter on my electric S16?"

Anyone will tell you just about everything is going to have a lower price in the states (that doesn't always mean it's cheaper). We have higher salaries but higher prices. Go google what the average American salary if you don't believe me.

Also gotta consider that there are alot more people, alot more businesses therefore alot more competition, and of course more demand for fuel which means they buy more and potentially pay less for buying it in larger quantities.

In most cases life is cheaper and easier if you worked the same job in the USA. Look at the average middle class house in the USA, they are mansions by Australian standards.

The biggest cost increase in Australia can be blamed on 2 factors.

First is the monopoly that is held by the few companies that run our biggest freight docks ($127,000 a year salary for a basic dock worker).

Second is the 'Australia tax'. Most Australians just accept the stupid prices that we pay and everybody in the supply chain knows it. The end result is a bloated and inefficient supply chain, riddled with union restrictions and greed, all accumulating to bump our retail prices into the stratosphere.

That doesn't make either situation ok. If anything it just means we should both be angry.

Edited by pyro

Second is the 'Australia tax'. Most Australians just accept the stupid prices that we pay and everybody in the supply chain knows it. The end result is a bloated and inefficient supply chain, riddled with union restrictions and greed, all accumulating to bump our retail prices into the stratosphere.

This. Went to Autobarn a while ago for a can of VHT rollbar black paint.... $25. Politely ask them wtf is that sh*t; same can currently sells for $8 retail in the US, and I bought it from the same Autobarn less than 6 months prior for $15, which I thought was a massive ripoff at the time. Shop workers looked shocked and just told me that's what they cost, then asked if I wanted it as though I would be interested. Told them hell no I don't want a $25 rattlecan of paint. They looked further shocked.

Edited by pmod

This. Went to Autobarn a while ago for a can of VHT rollbar black paint.... $25. Politely ask them wtf is that sh*t; same can currently sells for $8 retail in the US, and I bought it from the same Autobarn less than 6 months prior for $15, which I thought was a massive ripoff at the time. Shop workers looked shocked and just told me that's what they cost, then asked if I wanted it as though I would be interested. Told them hell no I don't want a $25 rattlecan of paint. They looked further shocked.

Lol :woot:

Agree with this stupid Australia Tax. We are getting ripped off with so many different types of products compared to the States, its ridiculous!

A.C.C.C are looking into it i hear..

exact same reason I stopped going to Autobarn altogether. Everything is about 15-20% more expensive than elsewhere.

Surely someone has some knowledge to explain to me why they are so high???

Us $ is under 90c

Crude oil is 105$ a barrel

So why am I paying a premium. Someone educate me before I decapitate the next servo owner I see

Sincerely. One f**king pissed off motorist

http://www.raa.com.a...aspx?TerID=1139

The petrol station makes a 6c gross margin in this example. A 4.3% margin, then remove wage costs, transportation, insurance costs and hopefully there is some left over for a profit.

You'd pay much higher mark-ups on your clothes, shoes, insurance and food.

Edited by cruizer

I was going to bring this up but didn't bother, it's the exact reason there is so many chocolates shoved in your face every time you go to pay or why EVERYTHING is 2 for $*

They do well out of it, technically profiting for people's laziness by buying crap drinks and food/lotto and durries etc.

Think smoke mart aka On the runs and now it's a 335mil empire

Or 7/11's for the eastern staters / Americans

Fuel is just a necessity that brings you in.

Edited by brent47