Sign in to follow this  
Wongyikhai

Bought new S13! with some problems of course...

Okay guys i just bought my first really really clean Silvia S13 (No RWC) with a lady owner over the past 7 years. (Pictures tomorrow)

Unfortunately i'm those kind of buyers who doesnt like to ask questions and just buy it and praying hard everything will be fine.

She claimed that its serviced every 5000kms,

1992 Nissan Silvia Q's SR20DE, Automatic (a manual 5sp swap coming in few weeks)

it has 234,998 on the clock when i went to collect the car today.

Apparently its almost stock, except for the rims she changed herself and the exhaust was being changed by the original owner who imported the car in.

Rest is all stocks, not drifted (claimed by her), not lowered.

The most shocking thing about the whole deal is, she told me the car was serviced by her husband for the past 7 years. No service logbooks and stuff.

And her husband said the car runs really fine and doesnt have any problems at all since they owned it.

Servicing by changing the car fluids.. Oh well....

After every paper work is done,

i drove off and really hoping the car would be in good.

And some things i realise:

- The car doesnt drive really straight. It tends to turn slightly left, especially when braking to a complete stop - Wheel alignment issues?

- Car MIGHT be running rich. I toped up full tank. I drove to from werribee to melbourne and cruise around melbourne for hours and headed back to geelong. Total trip is 170+ kms and half of the tank is gone. Needle pointing sharp at 1/2

- Speedo. They changed to 18" wheels and hasnt done a speedo calibration. So when im going at 100km/h, the speedo would read at about 108km/h

Whats your opinion on those problems?

Tips and advice would be really appreciated :D

Cheers

- The car doesnt drive really straight. It tends to turn slightly left, especially when braking to a complete stop - Wheel alignment issues?

99% itll be the wheel alignment. Easy fix and its common. If the steering goes to the left when braking you might have uneven brake pad wear. I say go fix the alignment and see how you go.

- Car MIGHT be running rich. I toped up full tank. I drove to from werribee to melbourne and cruise around melbourne for hours and headed back to geelong. Total trip is 170+ kms and half of the tank is gone. Needle pointing sharp at 1/2

A common problem with SR20s is the o2 sensor goes bad, easy fix. Just buy one off ebay and pop it in, its most likely that.

- Speedo. They changed to 18" wheels and hasnt done a speedo calibration. So when im going at 100km/h, the speedo would read at about 108km/h

Jaycar sell speedo fix kits, install one and your good to go.

Thanks for the tip mate!

I'm hoping that the homed serviced car wont give me any nightmares in the future x.x

If the speedo only reads 8kmph over i would keep it that way (so when you are doing 100 you know you aint speeding) it isnt really that far out so no big deal and when you need new tyres you can pick some closer to the correct rolling diameter.

wheel alignment will fix the steering issue unless something is wrong but from the sounds of it an alignment is probably all you will need.

as for fuel issues as mentioned above O2 sensor would probably be a good idea. on top of that you can clean MAF sensor new spark plugs and if the leads are no good they may need replacing. Also run the good high octane fuel if you aren't already and can afford it.

O almost forgot Welcome to the forums and don't be afraid to ask questions and use the search button plenty of useful info around here :thumb:

Edited by FenrirWC

Thanks for the tip mate!

I'm hoping that the homed serviced car wont give me any nightmares in the future x.x

No worries, if SR's are taken care of they will run for well over 300 000km. My N/A did, never missed a beat and I used to abuse it quite often :P.

If the speedo only reads 8kmph over i would keep it that way (so when you are doing 100 you know you aint speeding) it isnt really that far out so no big deal and when you need new tyres you can pick some closer to the correct rolling diameter.

wheel alignment will fix the steering issue unless something is wrong but from the sounds of it an alignment is probably all you will need.

as for fuel issues as mentioned above O2 sensor would probably be a good idea. on top of that you can clean MAF sensor new spark plugs and if the leads are no good they may need replacing. Also run the good high octane fuel if you aren't already and can afford it.

O almost forgot Welcome to the forums and don't be afraid to ask questions and use the search button plenty of useful info around here thumb.gif

True that! We'll for the speedo i'll think if i should calibrate now or later or just leave it because i'll probably change to a 17" better looking rims if i could find a bargain :D

Sounds cool! I'll get the parts needed for an o2 sensor around this week and get it done over the weekend.

*EDIT: And i'll make sure the air flow meter gets clean up before the new o2 sensor gets into the car :thumb:

i'll probably go to the local workshops here in the morning to get my wheel alignment done!

Thanks for the welcome!

I'm really happy to be in the silvia family :shades:

Thanks for the tip mate!

No worries, if SR's are taken care of they will run for well over 300 000km. My N/A did, never missed a beat and I used to abuse it quite often :P.

Sounds solid :drool: I reckon most japanese cars have a really strong engine, my corolla went over 320,xxx kms, had never done a engine rebuild before and its still going good!

I guess i'll do a timing belt change if needed, replace a new spark plugs, fuel injectors clean if needed and change all car fluids along with the 5 speed manual swap and it'll run really really sweet :thumbsup:

Edited by Wongyikhai

Sr dont have timing belts

And I have never seen a s13 log book as most get chucked before they come over

S13's have an adjustment screw on the back of the speedo to recalibrate. I think it was on here that I found a guide. Basicly, remove the speedo cluster then remove the 4 bolts for the speedo itself, on the back of the speedo face there is a blue box with adjustment screw, adjust in slight increments until it's right. I did it with my 180, using a GPS to check with.

- Lance

Edited by Captain Wow

Sr dont have timing belts

And I have never seen a s13 log book as most get chucked before they come over

Didnt know about that! they run on chain belts right?

S13's have an adjustment screw on the back of the speedo to recalibrate. I think it was on here that I found a guide. Basicly, remove the speedo cluster then remove the 4 bolts for the speedo itself, on the back of the speedo face there is a blue box with adjustment screw, adjust in slight increments until it's right. I did it with my 180, using a GPS to check with.

- Lance

Thanks for the information!

It really helps a lot :thumb:

Sorry to revive this thread thingy

But I've also just bought a sr20de s13 and my fuel pumps not turning on hopefully just a relay but there is no writeing on the engine bay fuse/relay box,would someone be able to post a pic please.

I've been looking for a week but can't find one :(