Sign in to follow this  
JapSpecJake

***Tips on how to make my wheels look less illegal?***

Hey there guys and girls,

So I've bought myself a JDM S15 Spec R and the wheels on it have a decent amount of poke. About 3cm on the rear and 1-1.5cm on the front. Wheels are Buddy Club P1s 17x9 +17 all round, front tyres are 245/40ZR17 (95Y) and rears are 245/40R17 (91W).

I'm not sure on what my camber etc etc is set to....

If there are any tips of making them poke less I would love to hear them before I get defected haha. :thumb:

post-149984-0-54976900-1380513394_thumb.jpg

post-149984-0-81986700-1380513408_thumb.jpg

post-149984-0-40862600-1380513422_thumb.jpg

post-149984-0-92023400-1380513435_thumb.jpg

remove tyres change them to a 215/225 and your set.

a roll wont do anything lol

change tyres lower car camber

And how do you figure that?

Pumping/rolling guards will pull the guard out giving more coverage

get the back of the rim shaved off slightly with smaller tyres?

And how do you figure that?

Pumping/rolling guards will pull the guard out giving more coverage

dudei know what a pump will do. a simple "roll" wont do enough for this guy.

BTW how much - camber can you have before you need camber and toe arms? :/

P.S Sorry for being extremely newbie :( hehe

BTW how much - camber can you have before you need camber and toe arms? :/

P.S Sorry for being extremely newbie :( hehe

I don't know exact ammounts, but your stock arms have a heap; enough for what you want to do anyway

some bad advice in this thread.

guards rolled and pulled/pumped/flared/whatever the cool term to use these days is the simplest option. about $100 a corner. usually can find a mobile guy to come and do it for you. or if you are brave/dumb/cheap you can roll and pump your own guards. if you have to ask how, pay someone else to do it properly.

narrower tires are even more illegal and look like f**king dogshit too. dont bother. 245 is a nice size on a 9 (and its still technically too narrow, but it wont debead if you look at it sideways, at least)

more camber can also get you in the shit so dont go overboard in that regard. plus it f**ks up your handling and kills your tires quicker.

buying wheels that fit is the least potential to f**k up, but requires more research, and more cost. at least you have an idea as to how big you can/cant go now that you have seen how these wheels fit.

Make the car fit the wheels, Thats what i always say

best advice if you're going for that 'flush fitment' where the wheel and guard are almost perfectly inline, modify the guards, dial in camber, lower it etc etc to make the car fit the wheels you want

sell the wheels and buy ones that fit

best advice if you want to remain with stock, unmolested guards, but to find a wheel that is off the bat perfectly fitted to your guards is going to cost more money, and as has been said, a lot of research.

Also, once you figure out that 'perfect size' for the fitment you want, if you're buying used wheels they may take AGES to find, and while looking you could get defected, so the choice is yours friend.

1. sell the wheels, research and calculate the size/ offset you need for a specific design of wheel and tyre, find a supplier that supplies that wheel in that exact size buy them, and fit an appropriately sized tyre.

2. keep your wheels, pump the guards, lower, more camper, over fenders, wide body, spacers, etc etc etc.

edit: personally, judging by your car, it looks pretty clean, nice paint etc, i wouldn't want to f**k that up with pumping the guards or fitting over fenders. I'd just buy wheels that fit better, even if it means not being able to claim to your mates that your car is 'flush as f**k'

Edited by Johno333

easiest option has already been suggested, smaller tyre and camber to suit. not hard....

Easiest isn't always the best.

What's the point of fitting wide wheels if the handling is sacrificed to fit them under the guard...

^ Much too logical for this place Johno, it's all about the look rather than increasing the footprint for performance gains.

If there are any tips of making them poke less I would love to hear them before I get defected haha.

i doubt you or he would notice the lack of performance by running a 225 instead of a 245. He wanted a legal way of running these wheels without them sticking out run a thinner tyre. if your going to comment on a wheel debeading because of a 215 on a 9" is stretched then you have no clue.

wheels came with car. he wants them to fit so he doesnt get defected. like i said simple, camber and thinner tyre.

just buy wheels that fit

there is no point running stupid camber just make wheels fit

wheels are fine (size wise) Buddy Club P1s 17x9 +17

why waste money on new wheels when correct tyre sizing would fix the issue..

Cos the tyre factory said so.

Why would you have a 215 on a 9 inch rim for a street car

Good luck when you have an accident and want to claim on insurance

And why would you want excessive camber on a street car? Stance ?

To get them close to legal on the back would be 3+degrees

And would eat tyres like there's no tomorrow and stand out when you get pulled over by the cops

Because they are behind you looking from the best view to see the ridiculous angle on the rear wheels

Just buy some wheels that actually fit the car if you want it too look less illegal

Why would you have a 215 on a 9 inch rim for a street car

Good luck when you have an accident and want to claim on insurance

And why would you want excessive camber on a street car? Stance ?

To get them close to legal on the back would be 3+degrees

And would eat tyres like there's no tomorrow and stand out when you get pulled over by the cops

Because they are behind you looking from the best view to see the ridiculous angle on the rear wheels

Just buy some wheels that actually fit the car if you want it too look less illegal

Agreed wih everything he said

Question was: how do I make these wheels look less illegal, not how do I make these wheels fit.

Unfortunately the cops dont give you mad props and fist bumps for having stance like the internet does. They DO however love to ping you for too much camber, uneven tread wear and tires too small/wheels too big. all of which you are suggesting.

and if hes going to change tires, hes already looking at $800ish, so may as well go another $800 and get wheels too.

would you stuff your size 12 foot into a size 9 shoe purely for the looks? so why would you make the wheels fit the car?