Sign in to follow this  
pyro

Budget Pseudo-Home Theater receiver needed!

Hi guys,

I'm looking to do a few things with my shed setup. When I bought the place it already have two decent-ish speakers that are wired into one of those old motel style radio/cassette/alarm players. The volume knobs (one for each speaker! madness!!) are getting a bit sketchy and the radio can't seem to hold the frequency too well (have to adjust it every few hours to get the full signal back), so I'm looking to upgrade. I've mounted an old monitor to an upright and was planning on running an Android Mini-pc through it. I've bought an HDMI -> VGA + 3.5mm audio jack, which is on its way, so I'll be able to to send the video to the monitor and the audio to a receiver of some sort.

For the receiver, I'm after something that does digital and analog radio and MAYBE digital TV as well (it'd be nice to watch F1 while I'm working on my car :P). Bonus if it can play music from a USB stick as well, but for the most part I'll be streaming music from other devices on my home network anyway. The receiver doesn't need to be good, it also doesn't have to be new and I have no idea how powerful it should be, so I'm after suggestions on that. It will never be played "loud", so all I really need is to be able to hear it. It is being used in a tin shed, so sound quality barely matters :P

So please, suggest away! I've never bought anything home theater wise before, so I have absolutely no idea what I'm looking at, or for, so all suggestions are welcome :)

Cheers guys!

Josh

P.s There is no budget at the moment, because I have no idea how much something like this costs. I'm guessing it'll be around the low-hundreds? Obviously, the cheaper the better :)

Edited by pyro

Personally, I like the onkyo's - have always had a good run with them.

But probably a little bit more than you've been thinking... http://www.graysonline.com/retail/bn-ht-r648-b-n/audio-tv-and-home-theatre/onkyo-ht-r648-5-1-channel-network-a-v-receiver-black?source=googleps&gclid=CIebiqCehroCFcrGpAod0WUAGA

i have an onkyo setup with some good speakers! 5 doors up reckons it sounds like thunder untill they walk out side and hear the movie lol.

pretty good warantee too. had a fualty lcd screen, replaced no probs. and good as gold again.

Cheers guys!

sr180: You're right, that is a little more than I was prepared for, but I've also been tossing up the idea of putting an actual theater setup in there as well, so if the price difference between the cheap and shitty isn't that much different from the decent setups, then I'll probably just go for a decent setup and get some new speakers/etc when funds permit. I've also got two other rooms in the house that need something better than the (rubbish) TV speakers that we're using now, so will check out some Onkyo gear for those as well :)

another one for the Onkyo receiver, I purchased an Onkyo TX-NR509 last year and it has been great.

Had trouble with the HDMI board on an onkyo amp. Im also having a little trouble with my Pioneer 2022k. I would suggest a Yamaha RX-V 473/75 if you want a decent entry level amp that wont cause you head aches and sounds good.