Sign in to follow this  
oh180

Steering wheel retrim

Need to get my steering wheel leather changed, still got the stock wheel on.. any recommendations in sydney area?

i called a work shop in sydney city and he quoted me $450.. and it takes 2 days.. does he expect me to walk home or something..

how much is a reasonable price to pay

cheers guys

Shouldn't cost any more than 20 bucks and 10 minutes for a drive-in-drive-out custom steering wheel retrim in leather. They're taking you for a ride bro.

In all seriousness though, if you're leaving your car with them and they're removing the wheel, trimming it and reinstalling, then $450 is a reasonable quote. You might be able to get $350 if you shop around and provide them with just the wheel frame sans airbag.

Retrimming isn't outrageously hard to do, but it takes a very long time and the stitching is entirely done by hand, so it's both expensive due to the labour time and the annoyance of having to actually do it.

As pmod said it is a pain to do steering wheel trims, dont expect quote's to get much better than $400. Like most legit trim jobs there is alot of hours involved.

i would charge alot more than that to do a steering wheel, sounds cheap to me, get it done in suede/alacantara looks boss