Sign in to follow this  
The New Guy

Why do people think Silvia owners are tight asses?

I'm alway curious as to why people think S series owners as being tight ass. I mean some of the shit I see on other people's car that are NOT Nissan makes me want to hit them over the head with a giant schlong. I see a lot of quality build on this site and from sites around the world also, but it bugs me sometimes when we get labelled cheap by other forums.

Take Kemps, or SX Development, or PJ cars and you see the amount of quality parts they invest in their cars contradicts the misconseption the general automotive public opinion about us owners.

So again, why the heck do you think we get label cheap?

Edited by steveP

because 80% of them are.

and no one wants to pay what things are worth

and people would rather buy copy parts over the real deal "coz it looks the same"

^ there are many good cars but for every good car/build you see there is bound to be at least 5 scrappy drift/bucket cars, cheap built parts etc

Same how many people think you own a s-chassis you must drift :doh:

They are so readily available and reasonably cheap so every man and his dog has one. Then the variety of parts you can source for a s-chassis is huge. There are many people out there who have made very good quality s-chassis builds but then there are also people who chose an s-chassis due the ability of making a cheap build.

I remember the when there WASNT any copy parts.

I even remember the days where Drifting was taboo.

Fact of the matter is, Majority are tightasses. You clearly just need to read the last 12 months worth of threads of members asking what brand coilover to go. You get the veterans saying "buy xyz etc." yet they still go cheap out. Nek minut, On here later asking questions as to why its shit :ph34r:

I think some parts you can go a little cheaper on but parts like coils I probably would spend the extra

You don't think Silvia owners are cheap?

Try selling something to a bunch of Silvia drivers.

Half of them will shrug it off as "too expensive" no matter what the price is.

A quarter of them will try to haggle you down to a third of your asking price and the rest will try to convince you to take trade of an item worth a fraction of what you are selling.

^ you see there is bound to be at least 5 scrappy drift/bucket cars, cheap built parts etc

Powertune has stopped taking in drift buckets because the cars are buckets of shit and so are their owners

Come in for a tune, owner drives down the road and has a fuel leak

Blames the tune for the fuel leak didn't even touch the fuel line

Fucken idiots

Tight asses

Shit to deal with

Drag and circuit owners are so much better to deal with

• Upvote 1

Its both true and it isn't. I know when i got my S15 all my mates were like wow, an S-Chassis where the panels line up... It's the general opinion that Silvia owners are wannabe drifters and so we get the tag of one (panels falling off, miss matched paint etc). It all depends on how you modify your car. If you go for the drift pig look then i think you will probably get it more than someone who was going for a grip or track build like SX developments or the others you mentioned.

Try and buy/ sell on 'drift sales' on Facebook and you'll find out why...

I'm selling s13 front AND rear seats in good condition all for $50! I thought that was a pretty good price... Still had some guy offer me $10 for just the drivers side front seat.................

I think another reason "we" are classed as tight arses especially by people not into cars is that we spend all our spare cash on our cars and have no money for anything else :P

Try and buy/ sell on 'drift sales' on Facebook and you'll find out why...

I'm selling s13 front AND rear seats in good condition all for $50! I thought that was a pretty good price... Still had some guy offer me $10 for just the drivers side front seat.................

I can top that

When I first got my 180 i upgraded my seats and posted up driver and passanger seat for $50

I only want the driver side seat $25 ?

Fuck I'm basically selling 2 seats for the price of one

Oh just remembered another one

Years ago when I first started doing custom intercooler piping

I had a guy offer to clean the workshop for a set of custom intercooler pipes

Oh just remembered another one

Years ago when I first started doing custom intercooler piping

I had a guy offer to clean the workshop for a set of custom intercooler pipes

Bahahahaha that is gold.... now that you mention it, i am getting a FM soon.... :P

the problen with parts is every now and again someone sells something dirt cheap just to move it on so everyone expects shit that cheap all the time im guilty for haggling everything down but id never go stupidly low to what there asking that's just rude, just got a black top sr20det for 100 bucks with bottom end knock

the problen with parts is every now and again someone sells something dirt cheap just to move it on so everyone expects shit that cheap all the time im guilty for haggling everything down but id never go stupidly low to what there asking that's just rude, just got a black top sr20det for 100 bucks with bottom end knock

I've always been the type of person who puts some thing up for sale for the price I want it for

I don't like fucking around and putting a higher price so people can haggle down the price so they feel like they are getting a bargain

Talking about parts, I've got a whole heap of things at home but I just cannot be bothered to sell anymore purely because of low ballers hahaha. I'll just let get gather dust just for fun.

• Upvote 1

Change thread to: 'stories about low ballers/ scumbags'

Putting a 180sx rolling shell up forsale with s15 front end (all factory panels made to fit with s15 radiator support) with loads of other parts/ spares etc, guy asked go much, I said wanting between 1.5k-2k depending on what parts/ how complete he needs the car..

Offered me $500 to take all of it off my hands for me.... Then had a go at me for calling him scum and he simply made an offer that I didn't have to take.... Hate all *milkshakes*.

I think silvias are cheap to modify to a basic level but then they can get expensive taking them to a track / fast street car level

i think the best thing about silvias is the huge aftermarket parts list

i dont think there would be another make that has been modified as much as these in aus / maybee 33 gtst's

I've always been the type of person who puts some thing up for sale for the price I want it for

I don't like f**king around and putting a higher price so people can haggle down the price so they feel like they are getting a bargain

thats fair ive just always been brought up to haggle a bit plus broke ass apprentice so need to be tight with money

There's a big difference between haggling and insulting, though. And haggling traditionally takes place once you've inspected the item... there's one guy who offers 3500 for ANY car. 8k S14's, 15k R34's, he offers 3500. He had a pretty-damn-well-over-built track car for sale and ABUSED anyone who offered him a cent left. sigh.

Everyone wants the best possible thing they can get and they want to pay $0.

I'd say the cheapskate thing is linked with the age group and demographic of silvia drivers. And the whole 'drift' look thing doesn't make them look like they've got any cash to spare either.

I think the stereotype is accurate enough. Silvias have all but replaced the hole that VN and VL Commodores used to fill. When I was buying a lot of parts, sellers would seem to fall into 3 categories:

1. Normal people that had either moved on and bought a better car or were selling old parts due to building their car up, and were genuinely shocked by buyers that spoke clear English, paid cash, didn't haggle price and actually knew wtf they were talking about.

2. Hetik sikkunts that think Liverpool is the sh*t, can quote you all the fees they've paid to workshops, and have no actual mechanical knowledge but still insist on having a conversation about mods. They're usually harmless enough, but their mates still look like they want to stab someone.

3. These are the lowest of the low imo. Wannabe hardkunt bogans that wear v-neck t-shirts and short-shorts straight out of the 80's, finish sentances with the word "but" for no obvious reason, get extremely defensive over nothing, and have an incredibly abrasive personality. If I see huge slogans stuck to the bottom of a windscreen, this is the kind of person I expect to meet. Not always, but often.

Edited by pmod
  • Upvote 2

I advertised a full set of 4 stud meisters in alright offsets for $700 and STILL had people haggling.

Haha most Silvia owners are young, broke and there is no rarity to parts so they low ball because they know if the offer isn't accepted then someone will have the same part next week anyway.

I buy virtually all my stuff new from shops so i don't have to deal with people and shitty parts.

But at the end of the day, if you root, you're a sick *milkshake*

But at the end of the day, if you root, you're a sick *milkshake*

Err... what?

I root all the time and yet I remain a suave, sophistocated man of mystery; hardly your average sick khunt.

Edited by pmod

They associate us as the menices of society ahah. The majority are cheap to buy and have cheap parts available and in turn are cheap owners. I bought a silvia cause it was cheaper than an evo to buy service and repair. And quality parts are cheaper too. If I was to do what I have done to a BMW ect I'd be dead broke. I don't wana pay a lot for used car parts either. There's a difference between just a silvia owner and an enthusiast. Owners are usually cheap and enthusiast are willing to pay good money for quality parts. There also smart and won't be ripped off.