Sign in to follow this  
Richard Meagher

Safe tune for SR20DET with s15 J-Spec injectors?

Hi all,

Am new to this. Am booked in for a tune but am concerned that my tuner tends to throw caution to the wind on the dyno...

Previous tune S14 SR2DET standard s14 injectors - T3/T4 turbo - 227rwkws.

Interested in people's thoughts on what a safe rwkw number would be for a new tune with a new turbo and J-Spec S15 injectors?

Thanks all, any advice would be much appreciated!

Rich

It's not really a rwkw number thing, it's more about injector duty cycle, boost and AFRs

What ecu you got? What turbo?

first set of numbers is unlikely as that is well above what the injectors are good for.

what is a j-spec? sounds like a made up variant

There is no way standard s14 injectors can make 227kw

noone can give you these answers without knowing the cars specs. t3 t4 turbo could literally be anything its just a flange.

if youre going to upgrade injectors i would upgrade to something worthy of a new tune.

Thanks everyone,

I've had the car for about a month. I bought the car being told it had 550cc injectors and was given a dyno printout showing 265kws at the wheels. The turbo seemed to be quite large but the previous owner wasn't too sure on specifics.

My mechanic I think remapped the standard computer and told me that the previous tune was starving the motor of fuel and was very unsafe. I was shown a graph of the new tune and was pointed out a flat spot in a graph showing where the injectors were struggling. I was told that 227rwkws would be safe as long as I didn't max it out for extended periods....this comment concerned me slightly but again - am quite new to all of this. I assumed from this conversation that the car was still on standard injectors....but maybe it can't have been...confusing.

I recently drove through a massive puddle and injested water into the motor. Car needs a new turbo and tune. I discussed an 'upgrade' to 480cc S15 J-spec (japanese domestic market specification) injectors with my tuner and dropped them off on Friday. Since then I have been browsing the internet and alarmed at comments relating to such injectors being only good for 200rwkw (!). Hence my confusion.

Anyway thanks again all.

Don't even know where to start

My head hurts

I doubt u have damaged the turbo or tune by driving into water

Why would go want to down grade from 550cc injectors to standard s15 injectors ?

Backwards

get a new tuner or mechanic - like kemp said seriously doubt a turbo is damaged by the water, i would be getting another opinion. take it to someone who knows what theyre doing and they will tell you by looking at things exactly what you have under the bonnet.

j spec is commonly called jdm - never seen it called j spec?

no idea how they can say specifically 227rwkw will be safe, it comes down to much more then outright power at the treads

also never buy a car from someone who cant tell you in DETAIL what the every single thing on their car is, injectors ecu's turbos engine internals etc

Edited by R32GTRS

where are you located? people can suggest good places to take your car

Lol so confusing

Sounds like you just need a new tune by a reputable tuner

what the f**k?

dude just leave the damn injectors in, and for the record S15 SR20DET are not bloody 480CC, they're 450CC. In the S15 the base fuel pressure is raised hence making it "appear" like a 480CC injector.

Find a new tuner, and your mechanic sounds lost as f**k.

and what the f**k are J-Spec injectors?

S15 ADM and S15 JDM SR20DET Manuals have the same bloody injectors

i would be more worried about the engine than the turbo if it ingested water