Sign in to follow this  
s13k's

Toolboxes! What Do You Have? Im In need of new gear..

Hi guys,

I have a okay Sidchrome tool box but Id consider it a vintage + its missing a few sockets and pieces here and there so I want to upgrade!

Now I just want something extensive, with quality and something I can throw in the boot and forget about it.

So far Im keen on this: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Kincrome-Socket-Set-194-piece-1-4-3-8-1-2-Square-Drive-K2164-/310492170395?pt=AU_Hand_Tools&hash=item484ac6889b&_uhb=1

What do you guys think?

Should have all the tools I need since my current toolbox is a 60 piece or something but I dont my new one to break or something after a few times.

It depends what you're doing with the tools/how much work you do on your own car.

I buy them as I need them, so over the last few years I have collected a fair bit including:

socket sets metric and imperial, 1/2" and 3/8"

breaker bars and extra extensions of all sizes

impact sockets

deep sockets

impact gun/drill driver

ring/open end spanners

ratchet spanners

pliers, side cutters, circlip pliers, needle nose pliers

screw driver sets

allen key sets metric and imperial

gapping tool

hammers

bleeder tools

caulking gun

machinist ruler

torque wrench

probably a lot of other stuff I have forgot but this has allowed me to do a LOT of things myself at home :)

Edited by mitch_32

I'm also just buying as I go mitch, only time ill buy a kit is for portability or for some basic tools,(pliers, screwdrivers, etc)

i just make do with the basics aha. f**k buying tools

Normally i'd say that's a shitty way to look at it, but you seem to do engine conversions n shit without too much hassle so i dunno.

But there's nothing worse than not having the tools for the job, or having to bend/break/round or strip shit because you didn't have the right socket/spanners/enough extensions or the right puller etc etc

I built my old ca18 with only the basics lol and obviously a torque wrench but I did it at home with a cheap piston ring compressor, torque wrench, set of spanners and a stanley 1/2" drive socket set lol. That included the conversion into an n13 pulsar hahaha.

My tool set has grown quite a bit now working in the industry but I don't have a great deal of tools, few socket sets, set of snap on ring/open end spanners, snap on long shank ring spanners and snap on ratchets. Quite a few electrical crimping and cutting tools etc though.

Buy em as you need em I say. For instance you've got a basic tool kit, what have you needed to do but not had the right tool to do it? That's when you guy and buy that 36mm socket to undo your hub nuts or whatever.

Agreed, hard jobs are the only reason my tool set grows these days.

yep, i just expanded off a $1000 cheapo box i got 11 years ago, and maybe spent another $1000

and most of that is a pile of tools i can't be bothered putting back in the box haha.

buy a toolbox with the basic sockets ratchets and spanners and buy more sets of tools as you need them there's a few specialty tools depending on what your working on but most specialty tools you dont need they just make life easier

I got this kit:

http://www.justtools.com.au/prod7487.htm

But it came with the matching roller bottom. I also threw a few other kincrome peices in there; Torque wrench, Another set of sockets, Wire strippers and other random jargon. Got it at a killer steal too (Saved about $500 retail). Tax time is the best time to buy tools!

Haha I'm a diesel mech by trade.... I've spent 60k on snap on gear and probably around another 4k on kinchrome and still don't have enough stuff... There is always a better tool for the job.

Just like anything, buy quality tools and you'll have them for years.

Well worth the initial expense. I would just buy the individual kits like socket sets and spanner / ratchet spanners as you won't end up using some of the tools in the big 'complete' kits.

Edited by fyjosh

I got a basic bahco set from total tools... Just sockets and spanners... Pretty decent.

Have the basics.. and only buy the extras when they will make the job go from 3-4 hours of wanting to rip what ever your doing out to like 20 mins..

Don't underestimate the value of vintage sidchrome. Did an eBay search a while back and name brand tools of the right age fetch a surprising amount.

Sidchrome has turned to shit in the last 10 years. I find sp really good as well as Repco. Not a fan of the latest kincrome ratchets , there not overly ergonomic