Sign in to follow this  
millerman

Operation safe hills

Don't know if anyone has seen these yet but had a bit if a drive yesturday and did some research.

These things are cameras that have been put in what look like a water meter box.

I has 3 cameras inside each box.

288ABA29-4619-48DA-A021-6771F384D5C2.jpg

Just thought id put this up to let you guys know to be careful

Fire bug cameras, has been covered a million times on fb.

Nothing to do with hoon activity at all.

yeh as above purely to use as evidence against fire bugs, not sure whats stopping them recording number plates if ol mate farmer complains about burnouts tho

There are cameras In the hills now though but that picture isn't them

Operation Safe Hills is just another speed camera campaign with the odd laser gun thrown in, happens every year. Those camera's above are for fire bugs & there are HEAPS of them around if you know where to look. Operation Nomad, which also happens every summer is just more cops in the hills on random dirt tracks & back roads on patrol for fire bugs & suss *milkshakes*.

There are cameras In the hills now though but that picture isn't them

What do these look like? Do you have a pic or a location of one?

be careful of tripod cameras... a small black tripod with wires leading to a nearby ute or other cop car (ive only seen utes) usually operated by a rent-a-cop

seen them on gorge road, near norton summit and greenhill road.

be careful of tripod cameras... a small black tripod with wires leading to a nearby ute or other cop car (ive only seen utes) usually operated by a rent-a-cop

seen them on gorge road, near norton summit and greenhill road.

Yeah seen these with pajeros, land cruisers and tritons also

watch out along Tregarthen road Sumertown for lasers and tripods... i went down there the other day down the big hill and was doing slightly over the speed limit.. unintentionally since its a big f**king steep hill and a stupidly low 80kph zone and tucked away in a clearing in a hedge was a grey rodeo. i saw it as i went past, swore.. went back to see if there was a tripod.. couldnt see one or any wires, turned around again for a final check. nothing.. but has still got me worried. most certainly was a speed cam vehicle. either it was well hidden or i got lucky since they hadnt set up or they were packed up

sick of the shit how much evidence of revenue raising do we need under the veil of safety before we can stop this shit, how do you call a whole police force up on there bullshit who holds them accountable

I got pulled over and had some "kind" words said at me for flashing me lights for a speed camera on Tapleys Hill Rd.

I didn't get a ticket because i flashed the wrong side of the road which the camera wasn't operating for -> IMPLYING I wasn't effecting their money scrounging expedition, priceless.

I got pulled over and had some "kind" words said at me for flashing me lights for a speed camera on Tapleys Hill Rd.

I didn't get a ticket because i flashed the wrong side of the road which the camera wasn't operating for -> IMPLYING I wasn't effecting their money scrounging expedition, priceless.

its bullshit thats illegal is it still illegal if your warning someone of a hazard up the road

How about, at night, speed cameras are a massive bright white light that distracts the driver - more so than say... someone flashing hi beams. (wtf was that light, was it for me, was it for the truck next to me who was definitely speeding, partner giving you grief, etc).

Or let's go one further with everyone running +100 Narva/Osram beams (Or HIDs) anyway - so that they're pretty much as bright as hi beams but are on all the time.

2c.

Edited by TheApothecary

The cameras they use in the his a don't have a flash and are hidden there were set up on the said road above and also green hill road balhannah

As far as I know, the cameras only operate to catch traffic moving away from them. As in, if you're speeding and drive towards the camera setup, it is not configured to detect that (but maybe it can be?). I don't if this is true or not - I know it certainly is for some red-light/safety cameras at traffic lights. It also makes sense because motorcycles only have the plate on the back.

Either way, the "configured to detect cars driving away" thing explains a few of my experiences (times when i certainly should have been ticketed) and also it explains the strange placement of the camera cars/tripods (consistent distance and angle from the road).

Way to use a photo completely unrelated to speeding for an article about speeding. Also all those intersections are super busy with no green arrow during peak hour crap. If people didn't have to take a risk turning right maybe there wouldn't be so many accidents.

first time since 1946 that weve seen two years in sa with less then 100 deaths each year but police still say the speed limit needs to be reduced

http://au.news.yahoo...ort-department/

Anyone know the difference in number of registered road users between now and then? i bet as a percentage of users, the roads are close to their safest level ever even though they are in such crap condition.

Edit. 1 death per 6,662 then vs 1 death per 16,835 now. Seems much better to me. Road toll could be 300 and still be the same percentage od users.

Edited by TypeXPilot

totally agree I understand striving towards zero because no amount of road death is good, but it has improved and using it as a reason to over tax/over fine is bullshit and unfair, the ways that are actually going to lower road death are not profitable so they wont happen and they'll continue riding this reason

I got done a few months ago for flashing my high beams during the day (was a very bright/sunny day and meant to use low beams but BMW switches confuse me) to warn people of a camera, was an undercover cop near by, I didn't see him, jumps in behind me chucks on his disco light. Go to find a place to pull over and there is another cop car already pulled another driver up. I park behind the other cop car. Undercover cop comes over asked questions, walks away to write a $350 ticket, mean while the cop that was in front of me has done a lap and pulled up someone else about 100m behind me. I had a go at the cop for revenue raising which he denied and left.

Technically speaking I broke the law because i accidentally used my highbeams even though they are still more dim than new cars low beams but yeah was super petty and they had 2 cops circling around the camera.

how many road users are there in sa? a million (even if it was 500k)? is 97 deaths really a big deal?

and how many were bikers? ban bikes halve the road toll. and over 60% of fatalities are on rural roads so why isnt there more focus on country/highway drivers?

edit: this is assuming the govt is concerned about safety

Edited by pistol-pete

Why not just drop the speed to walking pace?

No crashes no speeders no deaths........ Right ?

Why not just not have cars, no oil scrounging, no obesity, everyone has to walk or ride to work.

its not about banning bikes its more about education/better roads but those two things cost allot of money, also some more community involvement from the police they talk about respect and not getting it but have they really earned much, they just seem like egotistical men and women with guns for the most part