Sign in to follow this  
Stuss15

Track days worth travelling for!

Hi guys looking at taking my car out of QLD for some track days. Wondering what tracks/events you guys could recommend and why :). Interesting to hear peoples opinions and point of views on tracks ect. Things like. High speed, low speed, surface (rough,smooth), hard on brakes, RUN OFF.... Looking forward to all the imput. If you have dates of events to that would be appreciated. Also car is a S15 silvia street/track car.

Mallala, Hard on brakes here in adelaide.

next few years there will be a track out at tailem bend too dude.

Personally ive only done 1 track day, but i don't mind mallala.

I hear a lot about wakefield, not to much about Mallala. Corners when you mech pulled your boxes down what failures were there? did you find out?

Circlip failure on 4th gear which then leads to issues with reverse.

Not viable to repair either of them.

mallala is crap... trust me ive done plenty laps around there.

winton

wakefield

baskerville

symonds plains

hidden valley

are all well worth travelling for

Tailem Bend would of been worth it if they were still open.... Great little track with little to no rules.

Vicdrift Matsuri @ Winton Raceway is a must. Two day event. A lot of people travel from interstate to do it.

There's heaps of grip events at Winton... Big one at the end of the year is the Winton 300. 100 lap endurance race.

My track day bucket list includes;

Phillip Island & the Mt Panorama Hill Climb (March 2014)

& The Ring :thumb: - I doubt that will be in my car!

mt panorama? that would be so cool! im sure youd have to run cage and be cams reg like a lot of hillclimb events!

im looking for time attack stuff not door to door.

Lots of that too... Just keep an eye on the events coming up.

Also not all hillclimb events are CAMS... We run days at Haunted Hills under AASA.

I run about 60-70 days at Wakefield. Great for all experiences, as it has a bit of everything.

im looking for time attack stuff not door to door.

Where would I find there calander. What is required to run there? Licences ect?

Lots of that too... Just keep an eye on the events coming up.

Also not all hillclimb events are CAMS... We run days at Haunted Hills under AASA.

Eastern Creek is a smooth wide track with fast flowing corners and elevation changes while having a technical opproach to it. This circuit gives you corners that tempt you to take them faster . Track is run under race conditions. Their website is not easy to navigate though they do have track days (L2S) every month. You need to check weather it is the North, South (this is very hard on your car, better suited for short wheelbase cars), Bradham (combination of GP and South Circuit) or the GP Circuit. Each one offers something different in driver experience. Next EC day is January 31, Friday.

Wakefield is my personal fav only because this is where I first started. This is a slower track with plenty of run off, though not as smooth or wide as EC. It is run as a learner track ie: no overtaking under brakes, round corners or out of. Straights only. Fun track

Marulan, very short, tight and rough and is hard on car and brakes. Well suited for short wheel base cars. The owner is a nice bloke, used to work at wakefield, but due to council and local complaints, noise and sliding can become an issue. Your car gets DB tested and if found too loud you will have to stuff it with wire. Track is run as learner, not that there is much room for overtaking round corners here.

Having said all this, this is only my opinon from my experiences. As a driver I would say go and drive every track you can as each one will have something to offer and something for you to learn from. Plus, its all fun!

^ agreed.

i would suggest if your really keen to travel for a track day, maybe enter an event that is more then just a normal track day, such as Skyline nats/honda nats or WTAC as an example.

NSW time attack held by Hankook tyres at Wakefield last year or the year before would of had been a great event to start if WTAC was too expensive for you. Not sure if they will run another series though which is sad.

Victoria has a supersprint series that includes Calder, phillip island, haunted hills and winton. Winton also has a TA event around easter, wakefield has the same TA event but not sure on dates. Mallala TA round is normally October.

well some great news, looks like NSW time attack - Wakefield will be happening for 2014!!

Last year saw drivers running at NSW TA as a practice leading towards WTAC.

And im 100% this year entering NSW TA.

What are the classes? Do u know where I can find that info?

i dont know the rules, but i think they just used the same rules from WTAC and had similar classes apparently. its not hard to figure out which class you'll fall under.

more info should be provided sometime during the year when they release the dates of the event.

I have done a lot of different tracks and would say in order of must do

Bathurst

Phillip Island

Eastern Creek

Lakeside

Baskerville

Wakefield/Winton

Last on any list would be QLD Raceway.

Hill Climbs I would suggest Haunted Hills

How could someone like me with a modded s15 get to drive Bathurst lol

How could someone like me with a modded s15 get to drive Bathurst lol

There used to be a yearly event called drive bathurst which is no longer, however you could do the hill climb event like everyone else.