HyperGear

HyperGear SR20det turbocharger Innovation, Evaluation and Testing

Its more of 3076 equivalent. But I'm hopping to not have the equivalent amount of lag.

real keen to see the results of this.

please keep us updated :)

Here is the power reading from yesterday.

power.jpg

boost.jpg

Peek power of 297rwkws P98 fuel is only at 21psi of boost. How ever 20psi is by 4750 indicate some thing is not right.

After having a closer look, it appears the small T2x turbine housings are not very good taking any thing bigger then a 56mm turbine. As there is no more materials left covering the exducer radius, which just made the inducer gap into the blade height. It worked identically to as if I'm using a huge turbine blade that has a inducer area of some thing of 20mms. That explains why the GT3071 worked horribly in side a .64 T2x turbine compare to as if it is in a .63 T3x turbine.

Large turbine end have made an very happy engine, taking boost and extra timing no worries.

I'm going to make an customized T3x geometry turbine housing into a T2x print, and re-evaluate using the same chra. Photos will be posted as project progresses.

Edited by HyperGear

VERY informative post ;) great to see the results as your doing it!

would be great to see the pics, keep em coming ;)

Installed the .86ar to my ss1.5 to my sr20det

Definately feels alil doughy in the lower revs compared to the .64 but hopefully retune will make it abit better but abit surprised in fourth gear full boost 20psi by 3900rpm can see the boost rise fast by 3500rpm and full boost just before it reaches 4000rpm

Will book in a retune next week hopefully can fit me in before next month going to put in a fresh set of performace valve springs next weekend and before tune and run it at 25psi

Edited by pur40m

Further evaluation based on the ATR28SS2.

comp.JPG

I've kept the compressor and grinned down the trim of exhaust wheel radius, So now its the biggest exhaust wheel that can be fitted into a .64 turbine housing with the correct blade radius inside turbine housing.

Car made a final of 308rwkws on pump 98 fuel, and 20psi made by 4000RPMs. This is an excellent turbo, managed to take timing and held boost pretty flat as internal gate. Doesn't chock the engine, no power tapering in upper rev, and drives very nicely on road. On paper it was identical in response to a GT3071 in T3 .63 turbine, make 30 extra kws, and direct bolt on.

power.jpg

boost.jpg

20psi by 4250rpm and 292rwkw is a very impressive result

Spewing I already swapped my ss1.5 to .86ar and booked a tune for Tuesday should have waited

I think that turbo is maxxed now as on 25psi it only picked up 14kw from 5psi extra but still the ultimate bolt on lowmount turbo for sr so far as it's making gtx3071r power but more responsive by 250rpm

A gtx3071r is usually at 20psi by 4500rpm

All you need is to machine up a t28 bolt on fr compressor cover and will become a full bolt on turbo and look std but pumps out 300kw

Should sell like hot cakes

Now u should unleash the power with e85

The compressor is maxed, and the turbine is just right for this compressor. Its is a perfectly matched turbo flow wise.

I had a closer look, it reached 24psi by 4150, 20psi was at 4050RPMs. It is currently the most responsive turbo for any thing that made this sort of power internally gated on Trent's dyno.

boostmarked.jpg

Car is now with VCT enabled. Can probably reach 340rwkws on E85.

That's blows a gtx3071r than as it's 500rpm more responsive so will definately be noticeable

This result is really impressive!

what would that set one back?

The compressor is maxed, and the turbine is just right for this compressor. Its is a perfectly matched turbo flow wise.

I had a closer look, it reached 24psi by 4150, 20psi was at 4050RPMs. It is currently the most responsive turbo for any thing that made this sort of power internally gated on Trent's dyno.

boostmarked.jpg

This particular one cost $1150 to build. Its a very customized turbo compare to other turbocharger built so far.

boostmarked.jpg

was this tune with VCT? or VCT was enabled after this tune was done?

The S14 I believe had a noise VCT so the previous owner had it removed and replaced with cheaper cam gears. I have installed a VCT cam gear recently and the result you are seeing is with VCT enabled.

great work there really starting to add some more options for my upgrade

My brother will be the first to test the atr28ss2 on his s13 with a s15 motor so VCt but he will have poncams and 740cc injector and std manifold so hopefully he will get similar results maybe alil more responsive

Hoping for 280rwkw on 20psi going on pump 98 aswell

My atr28ss1.5 is booked for tune on Tuesday with the .86ar so I'll have back to back dyno sheets against the

Atr28ss1.5 .64 20psi

Atr28g2 .64 25psi taper

All on eflex

will the standard manifold be restrictive? I am not sure personally whether to keep standard manifold or put in a stainless one when I get new turbo on my ca18

I've seen people make over 300kw with the std manifold and people have done back to back dynos with a std manifold and the difference is

5-10 kw up top with the aftermarket manifold but you power down low and boost response

I've seen people make over 300kw with the std manifold

this !

I've seen 300kw from a standard manifold and thats on 98 octane

Can still make decent power level on stock manifold. My CA18det managed 316rwkws P98 fuel at 25psi on an ATR28G4 turbo.

atr28g4316rwkws2.jpg

Having proper manifold allows that power figure to be reached at less boost levels. Also allowing greater output reached using smaller exhaust wheels. Either way it is the same ordeal of power to response trade.

This S14.5 that I currently have came with an aftermarket manifold, so it will be used as it is.

Edited by HyperGear

wow, honestly was not expecting that. Have you been port matching or anything else to improve flow of stock manifold? I am all about response so happy to stick with stock manifold, means some $$ I can put to good use elsewhere :thumb:

That CA18det S13 was cleared of defected on high mount and external gate not long before that run, so things were kept reasonably stock looking back then, manifold was standard unported.

Most of my customer's engines are factory, they won't be able to take much more then 20psi. I usually engineer my turbochargers capable of producing good power by that thresh hold, if every kws count then having an properly made manifold would definitely help. external gate helps too.

Edited by HyperGear

Wow, these are impressive results. Will you guys be looking into making a t3 version of this?

There are plenty of options to choice from on our T3x turbo range. After all, all those years spent on Skylines were building T3x based turbochargers.

An example of a turbo I've spent quite a number of month working on. Below is a SS2 from our Alpha series . This is a multi-stage turbocharger that has factory turbo's response while pulled 383rwkws:

powerall.jpg

boostall.jpg

As shown, 383rwkws with 22psi by 3500RPMs, E85 fuel. That is on a stock spec Rb25det, factory cams, a usual sing scroll Brae high mount and a 50mm external gate. In comparison it is more responsive then a GT3071 and makes more power then a GT3076.

Some thing like above is quite time consuming to built and will cost a bit of money. We can always make some thing simpler, performs, lasts and reasonably affordable. Just need to know what sort of power level you are targeting for.

Edited by HyperGear

is the ATR28SS1 a good option instead of a T28? Im hesitant to buy another second hand turbo after the first one shat itself.

If you want a turbo cheap my old turbo is going back to hypergear atr28g2 fnt his selling it cheap $500 with 12month warranty

Full boost by 3600rpm 20psi

Or atrss1 would be good but $11-1200

Yes the SS1 is a good turbo. similar response to a stock T28 and maxed out around 250rwkws on my car. alternatively you can use the $500 ATR28G2 advised above, which is also an excellent turbo, good for about 250rwkws also.

definitely interested in the SS1 to keep response good.

do you make them with the stock housings for the flanges?

Yes they can be made with factory S14 type of comp housing, T2x and 5 bolt OEM dump pattern. Uses stock water line and oil drain also. will need braided oil feeding line.

awesome. already have braided lines for my T25.

Will be hitting the website with an order soon :)

Just make sure you order a oil line inlet fitting as it's larger and different thread