Sign in to follow this  
Skepticism

EFR 7163 results

It then goes on to say how only 50* of flap movement is required for max flow through the valve

Screenshot_2014-08-11-17-34-05.png

Screenshot_2014-08-11-17-34-14.png

Yep, will be on e85. It SHOULD ship within the coming week. Motor will be built and everything should be capable of running to 9k, so i'm pretty tempted to run it to max and see what it can do.

Surely it'd take more than 24psi to do 500whp/370kw.

According the the compressor map it's possible, although at 28-29 PSI you would see a potential of just about 600 rwhp on E85!

I wish they illustrated it the same as Garret's. The correct air flow is just painful to work out. I just went up by 5.5 lb/s for each dot. Seems to be as close and easy as I could make it.

borgwarner_7163_compressor_map.jpg

I'll be loving life if what you calculated is correct. 30psi is a nice number for 600hp :-p I can't see why not, especially with the high flowing VE head and high-compression, it should be very efficient.

I've seen TS housings mentioned in quite a few places.

plus, this looks like twinscroll to me..

http://www.full-race...6758-turbo.html

borgwarner-efr-6758-turbo-content-25.jpg

A45 AMG supposedly runs 26psi thru some BW twinscroll unit - couldnt find exact specs but it hits peak torque before 2500rpm, so one would imagine it's similar to a 6758 if not even smaller. I'd expect poorer results on an older engine with less advanced combustion chamber design and stuff but 220+ rwkw with peak boost before 2500 would be nice!

brb acquiring AMG engine :(

anyway, would also be interesting to glue a 6758 comp wheel to the other half of a 7163...

Edited by Skepticism

Yeah, I'm tossing up between 6758 and 7163. 6758 should do 300rwkw on e85. It won't have peek torque as low as you mentioned but should be a lot lower than any other turbo that can do 300rwkw. TS .80 housing is the go methinks

6758 will make a bit over 300kw, but you might need the stiffer wastegate spring. Sw1fty on here made 280kw on 23psi on unigroup's dyno and another guy made 295kw with same turbo and boost at powertune. Pushing Sw1fty's turbo to around 30psi gave waaaaay stronger mid range but it tapered off up top, most likely due to a silicon bend sucking shut and his air filter being not so nice :P

6758 with TS housing would be awesome, although the 7163 has the mixed flow turbine and from everything i've read will only spool a couple hundred rpm later but have potential for at least another 100hp.

If you look at the specs of the a45 AMG motor, it has a very long stroke, so that helps (from what I understand) bring the curve really far left. Hence red line is very low on them. I've heard a couple drive on the street and even normal acceleration from the lights you can hear the turbo spool almost instantly. pretty cool!

The a45 redlines around 6k from memory from the ones I have driven

The power deliver is very low down and kind of taps out above 5500

Because of the gearing and the torque you punch through the gears so quickly its definitely fund to drive for a stock car

Yeah 300kw is definitely doable on a 6758. Dan from ART made over 300kw with his 6758 on his S13. From memory that was on about 23psi.

Today was an awesome day. The Full-Race manifolds should arrive tomorrow. So stoked on this turbo.

20140819_171906.jpg

20140819_171842.jpg

20140819_171921.jpg

20140819_171936.jpg

20140819_172015.jpg

20140819_172052.jpg

• Upvote 1

Speaking of which!

EFR7163 Test Run:

A Nissan road racing forum member just got his up and running. I don't think it's tuned yet.

I have one too :D

But vbanded inlet with 0.85 rear housing, externally gated.

I have one too :D

But vbanded inlet with 0.85 rear housing, externally gated.

Cool...care to show a dyno sheet or video?

Sw1fty on here made 280kw on 23psi on unigroup's dyno and another guy made 295kw with same turbo and boost at powertune.

Yeah 300kw is definitely doable on a 6758. Dan from ART made over 300kw with his 6758 on his S13. From memory that was on about 23psi.

these are e85 results yeah?

Edited by pirate

Sw1fty's is on e85. I'd guess the other results are too.

I guess I should give some feedback on the 7163 now that my car is running. I'm 200km into running in the motor so don't have the best feedback yet. So far with no ignition timing, no preload and no boost control solenoid it feels responsive. Having high compression helps I guess. The BOV is interesting, but sounds pretty serious.

200km in to running in; your about 150km late to tune it for power and give it a flogging.

200km in to running in; your about 150km late to tune it for power and give it a flogging.

This. Bed rings = 30 mins on dyno. Then she's good to go

I gave it boost within 50km, don't worry. but I haven't given it timing etc and played with boost control yet. There's a bit more to running it in than bedding the rings in. I want to make sure everything operates as it should before I really start pushing it hard and running 30+ psi and 8500rpm for extended time.

Edited by nicknack

Can't wait to see how she goes, very interested in when you reach 30 PSI and what RPM on 1:1 gear you reach full boost.

Then of course, your power and torque readings too!

I am seriously considering this turbo on a Tomei 260 cam setup, ported head, oversized valves while still maintaining VCT. Best I can get before forking out for a VET (maybe in a few years).

Hmmm by the time you port a det head and do oversize valves, new cams, new springs, retainers, seals and guides you've probably spent more than buying a VE head, excessive manifold, p12 solenoid, p12 CAS and a few small bits and pieces. Putting a VE head on isn't that expensive by itself, its the fact that most people change everything else as the same time that makes it killer expensive. Not to mention that a stock VE head is still better than a worked DET head

Hmmm by the time you port a det head and do oversize valves, new cams, new springs, retainers, seals and guides you've probably spent more than buying a VE head, excessive manifold, p12 solenoid, p12 CAS and a few small bits and pieces. Putting a VE head on isn't that expensive by itself, its the fact that most people change everything else as the same time that makes it killer expensive. Not to mention that a stock VE head is still better than a worked DET head

I've been curious about this myself, I figured the conversion kit may have attirbuted to the cost but they aren't too expensive. I'd have to change the bonnet too as they stick higher up so I've read. Not too much of an issue though for a worthwhile job.

Might look into this combined with a BC crank and 350z gearbox converison when I'm ready to play with money again.

When are you getting her tuned properly with the 7163?

Mine clears my bonnet fine, but I have stock mounts. I did the fill them with sikaflex thing and they're quite firm. I didn't want Nismo mounts because apparently they raise the motor and give you less firewall clearance which is not ideal on this conversion.

Tune is booked in for the 19th Dec, so hopefully all goes well and I can get some good results on that day.

I got boost control working on my ECU and worked out the medium canister can flow enough to do low boost of 10psi and a high of 24psi. I'm sure it could do more with some extra preload, but I'll be using a high boost actuator for the tune.

Sweet, definitely interested in the results!

I've read mixed things on the Nismo mounts that it raises but it actually resets it to OEM height but they don't sag much because of the tougher material used or that it does raise the entire engine.