Sign in to follow this  
zb4eva

S15 bonnet latch stuck / won't open

No idea how this happened but the lever won't release the latch, it does feel like there is resistance (i.e. the cable isn't snapped) but it feels like whatever it's trying to pull on is seized or stuck firmly.

I'm a bit surprised if it's seized because nothing was rusty or old in there, and the car lives in a garage. I half wonder if the cable has been crushed by my battery or something.

I sprayed and soaked the entire latch mechanism with WD40 (very thoroughly) using the extension hose and a torch about a week ago but it hasn't changed anything. It doesn't look rusty or seized to me (all very clean) but who knows.

Any tips on getting my bonnet open much appreciated.

Get someone to push down on the bonnet where the latch is while you pull the release

Sometimes I get the same when the front of the car is jacked. It gets normal again when I put the car back on the ground!

I've had the same with mine before, what liberate said is true but mine was fixed by the opposite.

I would have to get a mate to lift on the bonnet while I pulled the lever.

Yea I didn't really know how to explain it haha.. Push down and then lift up while the latch gets pulled

Lol perfect excuse when a cop tells you to open your bonnet :P

A few kids in the area have done it and pulled it off and only got defected for a broken bonnet latch which was really just disconnected

As people have said, moving the bonnet can help. It may be that the latch is incorrectly positioned, and the retention loop has become jammed in the mechanism.

check the rubber things that adjust how high/low the bonnet sits. My bonnet was too low and the latch wasn't releasing it when pulled.