Sign in to follow this  
swilly01

CA 180sx dropping a cylinder

Hello,

I have a ca18det 180sx. Today it seems to be dropping a cylinder and running like crap.

This has happened a few of times in the past few years. However it would happen for a day and then when I went to investigate the problem it would run fine for months and months again. However, last week it happened again but it seemed to not correct itself after a few days.

This lead me to believe the coil packs were finally giving up, so I replaced them with brand new oem ones. Sparkplugs were pretty much dead at this point I reckon from running a little with this problem. I cleaned them off and tested the new coils but the problem came back after 5 minutes of driving.

The next day I serviced the car as it was due for one, changing the oil, plugs, oil filter and fuel filter. I also cleaned the afm and all coil pack plugs with contact cleaner. The car then ran perfectly all week.

Now today it's dropping a cylinder again. Sometimes at idle the revs will drop so low it will almost stall. I'm thinking it could be something to do with the following:

- the new coil packs I bought didnt come with the little piece of metal which sits at the end of the spring, so I used 3 of my old springs and metal pieces with the the new coils. The fourth coil I had to use the spring which came with it, it has no metal piece on the end of it. Could this have an effect?

- I have a hole in the bottom of my stock muffler. Don't think this would effect the issue but thought I would mention it?

- fuel pump hasn't been replaced since I owned the car (6 years) so don't know how old it is.

- injectors?

- igniter?

Car is completely standard. Any help would be much appreciated. Sorry for the long post and relatively stupid questions (I should know better, iv been here long enough!)

Will

Try idling it and disconnecting one coil at a time. It will at least tell you if the issue is being caused by one cylinder or it may be just an overall power drop caused elsewhere.

Something as simple as a dodgy earth can cause symptoms like this. You need to narrow it down more before you spend anymore cash on it man.

Check the connection lugs for your injectors, it may sound dumb but I had a car with similar symptoms once and it turned out to be a broken injector connection, once I got that fixed it was perfect

I had the same issue with my old CA18DET. Changed coils / plugs and all that stuff. Worked temporarily then start missing again. Drove me insane and i ended up selling the car - to which the new owner ended up changing coils to Splitfires and getting new fuel pump and it was still having the same issue.

It ended up being the Fuel Pressure regulator so when this replaced with a Nismo item - the issue was fixed.

EDIT: Re-read no aftermarket fuel pump.

I would change the fuel pump and Fuel pressure regulator and let us know how it goes.

Edited by AC-S13

do you live around the geelong area? I'm about to take my stock fuel reg off my sr20det you can have it if you wanna come get it, that is if it will fit, can anyone verify that?

I live in inner melbourne, thanks for the offer though!

Weirdly enough it has started running fine again. I removed the plugs and cleaned them, cleaned the igniter's ground and sprayed igniter plugs with contact cleaner. Was still dropping a cylinder after that for about five minutes driving, then after 5 mins ran perfectly and has been for the past 20mins driving.

Weird weird stuff. Ill keep you posted.

It will happen again.

I had the exact same symptoms.

I am still going with Fuel Pressure Regulator.

If it's stock it may have the stock pump still. Even the stock SR20det pump is an upgrade on them.

Yellow jacket do a new coilpack loom for around 100 bucks off Ebay, I'm going to get one when I do my plugs/ coilpacks in the near future. May be worth a look.

When it's playing up check compression, check fuel pressure, check injector pulse and check spark. Then you will atleast have a better idea of where to look for the problem rather than randomly throw parts at it

What was the resolution for this? Too many threads get far enough with great advice, and then the original poster never comes back and updated advising what the issue / solution was (if its been fixed)

• Upvote 1