Sign in to follow this  
TRUNYA

N.S.W p platers are back.

I just want to say good on the NSW government for allowing kids to drive high performance cars again, I'm starting to see a lot more p platers driving 20-30km over the speed limit in 33s wrx and all the standard budget imports. Kind of strange after all this time to be seeing sneezing red p's trying to race be between speed humps. Any way good on ya kids try not to kill your selfs and f**k it up a second time.

• Downvote 1

I dont see what you mean? Same laws and restrictions have been in place for years.

What has changed?

Don't know but there's a heap of 14 year olds driving turbos.

Don't know but there's a heap of 14 year olds driving turbos.

Lol

the laws are being changed to a power:weight dealio i think

which is great, should get a nice bit of coin for my type X now.

Those dreaming kids that think there n/a 13s and 180s with coilovers worth 9k are about to get a massive reality check. All n/a 13s and 80s now are worth no more then $1000 like they should be.

Edited by TRUNYA
  • Upvote 1

Those dreaming kids that think there n/a 13s and 180s with coilovers worth 9k are about to get a massive reality check. All n/a 13s and 80s now are worth no more then $1000 like they should be.

wow that'd be awesome

buy n/a s13 for 1k

buy turbo motor for a couple of grand

and then sell it as a turbo one for way more

I'm going to make A LOT of money ;)

Edited by Johno333

Yeah i agree with this.. other day i had a red p plater lining me up...

The law is reverting to a 130kw per tonne limit. So some of the heavier turbo's will be legal. Good thing my exposed pod is still being regulated though, i personally consider it much more dangerous than a small child with boost.

Edited by JDMDaniel

Its only going to make people 17 yr olds with "fully sick drift ambitions" dump into 2nd around a corner into a pole.. i dont think its good for people learning to drive.. that much power at that age will only = more crashes in my opion.. thats my 2 cents..

This is excellent news. P platers can buy turbo again!

Wow... life just got a bit more lenient. Did hell freeze over or something?

It is very interesting, the amount of effort by the media police and government to destroy the car seen must have back fired within the revenue, less modified cars less high speed tickets and less defects being issued must have burnt a hole in there pockets and they must be feeling the effects so OPTION 1.. let P platers drive performance cars they'll modify them cheaply we will pull them over label them as hoons cause a scene then take there money.

Option 2.. There's no difference in car crashes fatal and non fatal now as there was 10 years ago in other words kids will be kids no mater what car they drive. Option 3.. Everyone deserves a second chance... And little kiddies when this no performance law come in it had a huge effect on everybody. I believe the lack of import sales within dealer ships and possible closures was due to P platers not being allowed in turbo imports, young enthusiast don't have a shit load of cash so finance was the only way to get in the door..

This is very good news for all young male and female enthusiast to enter turbo land so don't and I repeat don't f**k IT UP AGAIN.

R.I.P all n/a imports may you all be brought hell cheap and redirected into the path of the fattest turbo that will bolt on....

This is very good news for all young male and female enthusiast to enter turbo land so don't and I repeat don't f**k IT UP AGAIN.

It's all well and good to say that, but remember back to when you first got your license, I'm not saying you did, but many "young hoons" from the late 80's through to late 2000 shaped the way the restrictions are in force today, so in reality it was an older generation of drivers that ruined it for the upcoming generation of drivers. It continues today, when I applied for my license there was a written test, a log book (that was never needed to be handed in only 200+ hours were recommended) and a driving test. move forward 4 years and they bring out P1 and P2 restrictions (in Victoria) move forward a few more months and the 200 hours become compulsory. I'd hate to think what its going to be like in another 5 years from today.

I don't mean to play the blame game or point the finger and say it was entirely the "younger drivers" fault for these restrictions, I just think that you should see the big picture on a grand scale.

If it were up to me, I would hold lengthier test's to determine which young drivers are likely to offend.

This is the grand picture.... Western Sydney.. Brighton, Larpa, George st, the rocks, long St, crispy creams.... A GTiR and a 1600 and the seal on it all 17 year old in his dads 34... Everyone had enough of the overtaking of there areas the noise and in time what was leading to p platers dropping at a quite fast pace.

I'm all for freedom, I want my 16 year old boy driving a LC GTR 383 6/71.. Point being the chance has been givin and it can be takin back at anytime.

Ok I understand now when you say you have a boy, I wouldn't hold your breath mate unfortunately these kids will get worse, and they don't just ruin it for people like your son, they ruin it for us as well because they bring un-wanted attention to our vehicles that are of similar nature to these hoons. and unfortunately we get tarred with the same brush...

Interesting points.

Yes they are letting p platers drive turbo cars.

There is a power to weight ratio or 130kw per tonne.

Now it's got me thinking, yeah cool, however, cars that fall within this power to weight ratio scheme are those generally modified quite heavily by enthusiasts, e.g skylines, Silvias, wrxs etc.

Your 'boy racer' sort of car.

But also remember there is still a law against p platers driving a car with any engine modification....

So 2 things:

1. P platers can drive certain stock turbo cars now but 130kw per tonne isn't really that great of a number, I'm pretty sure turbo JDM Silvias are aroll unavailable

2. Maybe they're hoping to catch p platers who get the exemption and drive these cars who then put the biggest turbo they can find on, and butt raping them so bad they don't want to tell anyone about it... Also get more money in fines/ loss of licences

Edited by steveP

I wonder if this came about because newer cars are more powerful from factory.

Perhaps that was narrowing p platers new car options.

Edited by Spazo

I think the general idea is that a lot of smaller cars are coming out with a turbo option. More from an eco point of view rather than performance.

I highly doubt the law was changed to 'give them another chance'.

Besides a stock turbo s13 isn't any more dangerous (power wise) than a late model commy/falcon etc.

I think the general idea is that a lot of smaller cars are coming out with a turbo option. More from an eco point of view rather than performance.

I highly doubt the law was changed to 'give them another chance'.

Besides a stock turbo s13 isn't any more dangerous (power wise) than a late model commy/falcon etc.

Cruze Golfs things like that are all good and fair, the likeliness of those being modded are pretty slim buuuuuuuttt wrx skylines 13s soarers cars like that the pour kids are going to start getting back into and I think 98% of those will already be modded and if there not let's face it your buying them because you want a fast car. Coppas rant stupid anymore they know injector colours they know AFM and they know that a 3071 isn't a t25 even they they can be well hidden. I think it's all a trap and p platers are on the receiving end of it all. Correct in your shitty VN or EL XR6 isn't really a slow car but besides extractors, exhaust and a pod your pretty restricted, now imports on the other hand well that's just cash waiting for the police force.

i've been on my p's for over 10 years. lost it for numerious reasons 12 months - 2 years then 3 years NEVER got caught Hooning besides once or twice learnt my lesson now im 30 and can pick up 18yr olds :P

i've been on my p's for over 10 years. lost it for numerious reasons 12 months - 2 years then 3 years NEVER got caught Hooning besides once or twice learnt my lesson now im 30 and can pick up 18yr olds :P

Just made my day lol

Lol u guys are worried about P platers flying into poles.

Come to WA where fully licensed drivers dont indicate for any of the required reasons, drive 10km under limit in the right lane all day long and at least once a month drive into someones home or at least through a front wall...

Its hilarious and extremely annoying at the same time that our drivers are so retarded and so shit. Funny though we never hear about p platers here, I'm sure theres some shockers, must be an east coast thang?

whens the last time you heard of a P plater driving un-aware down the wrong side of a HWY?

Per mile traveled, fatal crash rates increase starting at age 75 and increase notably after age 80. This is largely due to increased susceptibility to injury and medical complications among older drivers rather than an increased tendency to get into crashes.

In 2008, more than 5,500 older adults were killed and more than 183,000 were injured in motor vehicle crashes. This amounts to 15 older adults killed and 500 injured in crashes on average every day.

More likely some politicians kid got fined for driving the family Merc kompressor or Golf.

Edited by stockblues15

Has this actually been verified? (by the RTA / RMS or whoever)

The RMS website still states,

"Prohibited vehicles are those with:

• Eight or more cylinders.
  • A turbocharged engine (except diesel).
  • A supercharged engine (except diesel).
  • Engine performance modifications that require an engineers' certificate.
  • Certain high performance six cylinder engine vehicles or other vehicles as described in the publication Novice Drivers - High Performance Vehicle Restrictions."