Sign in to follow this  
Nomnomnom

New tailshaft. 1 piece or 2 piece. S14.

Hey guys. I have been on the phone with Hardy Spicer, and they recommend that I use a 2.5" 2 piece shaft when I get a new one made. Now obviously, this increases the cost due to extra labour and parts.

What I want to find out is whether a 1 piece shaft should be preferred.

Using Z32 gearbox, R33GT-R differential in my S14a.

As for parts alone for the 2 piece shaft, it had been quoted at $1168.

To build the shaft has been quoted at $1508.

Just wondering what some of the disadvantages of having a 1 piece shaft would be.

Cheers gents.

what the fark?!? i paid 700 for a 1 piece, new unis and balanced to 10k...

and in the past, just modding the front half has never been more than 300.

are you swapping the front flange on the gtr diff to run a uni joint? or going to keep the c/v joint?

It will be new uni joints the whole way along. So there's 3. One on the slip yoke, one in the middle, and one at the diff yoke.

Just thinking that because the shaft will be longer, gearbox is shorter, that I might have issues with a 1 piece.

You should be ok with a one-piece.

Only time I'd not run a one-piece is if the car is a live axle.

What speeds have you run it up to?

Mine will be seeing 8000-9000 rpm maybe more. Just worried if at that speed if I suddenly unload the shaft, it may whoop.

Also, the z32 box is shorter.

Edited by Nomnomnom

I've got a one piece in my s13 with z32. It was fine until I solid mounted the cradle, then it would vibrate above about 190. Got it rebalanced and it's fine at 225+. Pretty sure it's 3 inch and cost around 650 4-5yrs ago

Im running a 1 piece no problem yet I just put a loop so if it does let go It won't cause any issues

mate got one done somewhere in sydney, he doesn't remember the name of the place. He gave them measurements, told them what box and what diff flange, they did 3" one piece with XR8 uni's, was 600 or less. Zero problems with years of flogging the *milkshake*.

Ok cheers gents. Greatly appreciate the info. I'll have to get a quote on parts for a 1 piece. 3" should be sufficient you think? Or should I go for 4"? Looking at eventually doing 400-450kW at the wheels.

Im running a 1 piece no problem yet I just put a loop so if it does let go It won't cause any issues

Yeah, this.

If you're running a one-piece, put a tailshaft loop in where the centre bearing used to live.