Sign in to follow this  
Shedog99

Tow cars?

Hey guys,

Just wondering what the general consensus is for tow cars, like what works and what doesn't. I have a 01 vx commodore v6, will this work because I have heard that the chassis rails can't bend when towing..? Not sure if that's true or not but that's what I'm here to find out!

All advise would be appreciated thanks

That will be fine I had a vt for ages and it pulled my 180 for years, I just purchased a ve to tow my s14

Can vouch for commodores , haven't towed with falcons. Best bet , money permitting , Bt50 with electric brakes on the trailer. Best thing I've ever done.

I have a 01 vx commodore v6, will this work because I have heard that the chassis rails can't bend when towing..?

Having the right tow pack will help. The higher rated ones typically have some kind of bracing that runs through the floor of the boot. I have also heard the rumors of the car stretching to the point where you can't open the back doors when not using the correct tow pack, but am actually yet to see any evidence of it actually happening.

Other than that, many people use Falcon utes and wagons as they have leaf springs which are better for heavy loads. Barra six is pretty torquey too.

EA-EL Falcon sedans were known for body sag when towing big things. VN Commodore wagons used to blow the back windows out when towing heavy loads.

My VR Commodore sedan was going the same way. Had some odd panel gaps around the rear doors by the time I sold it. It even had the heavy duty towing pack on it with all the bracing in the boot, and transmission cooler.

VT wagon

had a 1000kg tow bar on it when I bought it, but swaped to a HD 2300 one with all the extra bracing just to be legit after a few times

Needs a run up up bigger hills and spends 95% of the time in 3rd gear, but for a 4K car by the time I put the tow bar on, pretty good bang for buck. Looking to upgrade soon though

Already a huge thread on here somewhere... But tl/dr is au wagon on gas.. Unless you can afford a v8 cruiser / v10 touerag

I would recommend a V10 Touareg if it wasn't for the price of parts and service.

Can vouch for commodores , haven't towed with falcons. Best bet , money permitting , Bt50 with electric brakes on the trailer. Best thing I've ever done.

Wow really. 4x4? Dual cab?

I towed with the standard single cab tray and it was the most gutless piece of ahit I have ever driven. And the brakes. Wow! Just terrible for a. Rand new car

Ford BA xr6 ute is my daily / tow car, plenty of room in the back for spare parts and tools, I've always had ford growing up so I find it easy to work on them. parts can be cheap, almost every mechanic knows everything about them, and they are generally reliable, otherwise my old man has a xr6 XG ute, same shit, slightly better fuel economy.

my ute is the car with a nice sound system, cruise control and pretty things etc, whereas the 180 is for speed.

my xr6 will hopefully see the quarter next week at calder park (ANDRA) yewww

Edited by Danny180sx
  • Downvote 1

R31 is you're on a tight budget.. You can pick up a decent one for around $2000

• Downvote 3

Thanks for all the responses, may aswell just keep the commo and just install a transmission fluid cooler (I think that's what there called)

Cheers

As long as it's heavier than the vehicle it's towing, and the brakes are capable of stopping itself + the extra weight, then it's fine..

VN Commodore a no no, their brakes are so shit.

did somone recommend an r31 for towing?

vt commodore will do the job fine. wont do it well, but will get it done. i didn't notice much difference between my xr6t ute and v6 commodore

i you want a good tow car your only left with the big 4x4's

• Upvote 1

if you want a good tow car your only left with the big 4x4's

FKNLOL at some of the suggestions, this being the only sensible one.

Just no.

They have a piss-poor tow rating.

Thats the thing though

Looking to upgrade tow/daily, but couldnt handle driving a jacked up 4x4 every day

Trying to keep legal rules out pretty much everything jap like stageas, aristos and crown wagon (which is what I kinda wanted) even though they could probably comfortably do it no official tow rating and tow bars have to be custom which is another grey area

So it pretty much leaves you with usual commo/falcon. No use upgrading VT unless its V8 but VE's still go for silly money and will be worth chump change in a few years. XR6T is the only thing that really comes to mind, but no wagon so need ute, which means no car in the house has more that 2 seats.

Is there something else that comes to mind that I have over looked or is that pretty much it ?

budjet low to mid teens

will probably blow your low to mid teens budget but the hyundai iload turbo diesel vans go alright

I dunno if its true, but I heard that showing up to an event while exceeding your towing capacity can see you refused into said event?

• Downvote 1

I dunno if its true, but I heard that showing up to an event while exceeding your towing capacity can see you refused into said event?

That is doubtful... who would police it and I don't think organisers would be keen for that responsibility/duty of care? If this was the case you would have to defect check every car that drives in as well.

What are you smoking to come up with this shit? Serious question.

Just no.

They have a piss-poor tow rating.

Really? I always see them towing track cars and what not.

But Im by far a towing expert so I wouldnt know, just assumed they were ok.

390852_10151156439825471_673578241_n_zps47c2ebfa.jpg

IMGP2693.jpg

14092010001.jpg

2008609_orig.jpg

^+1 defiantly proved me wrong I thought there would be no way that a 31 would be able to tow, but I still don't think I would take the risk of that..

They can tow, but they have a 1200kg towing capacity.

You do the math.

what's the bet, non of them are legal... combined weight of trailer + car would easily come in over 1200kgs.

Screenshot2014-03-04at72913PM_zps52dfb523.png

EDIT: beaten by ^^^ that rabbi.gif bloke thefinger.gif

AS above..

My lexus ls400 (celsior) towed great for quite a while even on coilovers. But later found out it the bar was rated to only 1000kg. So wanting to do more long distant events got the commo with 2.3K load rated bar. Struggles worse though up hills and not as nice to be in.

Most people with commos only have a standard rated tow bar anyway so not really doing it legally anyway

yeah towing with a 31 isnt legal, yet people do it anyway.

same as towing with some falcons and commos isnt legal. their rated to 1650-1800 max... Trailer and car on it plus stuff weighs more then that!

get a 4x4 thing or a decent ute. I use a 08 d4d Hilux and it does fine, have done 30k kms towing all over the country in it. zero issues

Vts up have a braked towing rating of 2300kg you dont need a shitty 4x4 for towing

• Upvote 1

BA/F,FG Ute with 2100kg tow bar, good daily and great at towing.