Sign in to follow this  
Shadow_Matrix

Our loved silvias slowly becoming obsolete

i cant wait for these to get older. my s13's 26 year old and im itching for it to be considered a "vintage".

it was my first car, and i have no intention of ever selling. so ill be a 50 year old rolling in a mint two tone

edit - on the flipside, i hate how my s15's getting older....why cant it stay new forever :(

Edited by King Troll

The thing that worries me is how aftermarket and replacement parts are beginning to disappear for the s13. Do to the lack of demand a whole range of parts are no longer being manufactured, slightly less common performance parts are beginning to be hard to find. In another 10 years they will be impossible to find, then what.

The thing that worries me is how aftermarket and replacement parts are beginning to disappear for the s13. Do to the lack of demand a whole range of parts are no longer being manufactured, slightly less common performance parts are beginning to be hard to find. In another 10 years they will be impossible to find, then what.

then we have the same problem that every other old car has when it comes to finding parts

Love my 14 and I will never sell it. Saying that I really can't handle how disconnected my daily (falcon ute) feels from everything there's just no feel to it and definitely no love hell I've never even washed it.

Just wish I could enjoy my car like I ment to when I built it..... Thanks Mr Newman.

Hyundai can keep there heap of crap, since when can they build a decent car anyway (excel as an example lol)

The Koreans have really stepped up their game in recent years, and in the case of the Excel, although it seems like cheap junk they're actually a really hardy little car for one sold so cheaply new.

Also, there was a time when Japanese cars were absolute garbage, and "Made in Japan" translated to "Piece of crap".

There is also one thing to be said about the S-Chassis line though and that is the styling which can never be overlooked when talking about a cars aging. I was over at my mates place the other day and his 17 year old sister had a pink S14 drift car as her laptop background. All she knew was that it was a Nissan, and i asked her about it and all she could say is that it was a "Hot" car and she loved the look of it, it didn't matter that it was over 15 years old. The looks of these cars have lasted the test of time, and even impartial people (far from the likes of us) still love the look of them even compared to the modern offers. The technology may be becoming outdated, but they are still more attractive to the general population than 90% of stuff out there which is what will keep interest in the market in them.

Hyundai can keep there heap of crap, since when can they build a decent car anyway (excel as an example lol)

you're living under a rock... I suggest you go tests drive a few new Hyundais and you'll retract your statement straight up.

look at drag racing now days, they use a computer to set their rpm then launch. The computer does all the work, you just accelerate, steer and go on green.

seriously wheres the skill in that?

^ +1

Also, there was a time when Japanese cars were absolute garbage, and "Made in Japan" translated to "Piece of crap".

HA this,

Kingswood country was a show that was the perfect example of this :lol:

And 100% correct,

Hyundai and Kia make great cars these days

Going by the number of Hyundai's and Kia's that my dad gets at his workshop i think ill stick to other brand vehicles :D

My 2 cents...

• Downvote 1

I had an excel for a while growing up, I raped that car so frikkkkkin hard I never had blue balls as a kid.... never. I also drove it pretty hard and it lasted a few years without an oil change or anything. :sex:

Anyone can pull that to defend their opinion, happen to know it's bullshit and no worse than any other new Holden/Ford/Toyota and Mitsubishi etc in the same class though.

To the OP.

Tell this to the 50s Hot Rods, or the 60s & 70s Muscles, or the 80s Porsche, or the 90s Jap missile. Well I left a whole lot of other era out, but I hope you get the point.

Whether Hyundai make good cars or not, I think it's great they are at least trying a RWD turbo car. It says they believe there is a market for it, or that they can steal some would be '86 sales.

The Korean car industry is a bit like the Japanese car industry was a few decades ago. So who knows, this new Hyundai might be the Silvia of tomorrow.

f**k Hyundai 's , this thread is about SILVIAS .

• Downvote 1

Lol this thread derailed a bit. It's not about the brands. It's about the car market starting to churn out *comparable* cars to the silvia. Sure, they still have a bit of way to go, but at least in performance as hyundai (car manufacturer is for the most part irrelevant!) has shown, they're starting to catch up. The market has been shit for the past years because of the fuel costs, environment lobbies etc, now cars are starting to come out, such as the 86 & this turbo, rwd car from hyundai.

The crux is that now silvias are going to be in the past like one of the posters mentioned, "Tell this to the 50s Hot Rods, or the 60s & 70s Muscles, or the 80s Porsche, or the 90s Jap missile. Well I left a whole lot of other era out, but I hope you get the point"

I guess part of it is that I haven't experience this before & I just wonder in 20 years when cars are a lot more exhilarating with their new technology providing more power, handling, comfort and so much more, how will I relate to the silvia? I'll still love it for sure, but of course something else will eventually steal my heart away from the 90's era. Surely there are guys here who were enthusiasts before the era I refer to?

• rep_up.png
  • rep_down.png

"

It's the nature of al things. You'll be able to buy a 35GTR for 20k one day :)

There is also one thing to be said about the S-Chassis line though and that is the styling which can never be overlooked when talking about a cars aging. I was over at my mates place the other day and his 17 year old sister had a pink S14 drift car as her laptop background. All she knew was that it was a Nissan, and i asked her about it and all she could say is that it was a "Hot" car and she loved the look of it, it didn't matter that it was over 15 years old. The looks of these cars have lasted the test of time, and even impartial people (far from the likes of us) still love the look of them even compared to the modern offers. The technology may be becoming outdated, but they are still more attractive to the general population than 90% of stuff out there which is what will keep interest in the market in them.

Pics of sister?

• Upvote 2

Pics of sister?

^

It's the nature of al things. You'll be able to buy a 35GTR for 20k one day smile.png

doubt it

It's the nature of al things. You'll be able to buy a 35GTR for 20k one day smile.png

doubt it

If depreciation tells us anything, then in fact it would be true to see a $15-20k GTR within the near future.

For me I don't really care if Hyundai make a great car, won't affect me in the slightest.

I will still love my S15 and enjoy driving it and working on it. You can pretty much guarantee that no new car will ever be as raw, or provide as much fun as a Silvia.

Manufacturers are on a path to refinement, and that will carry over to sports cars as well. You have all heard the reviews of the R35 GTR, absolute weapon of a car but lacking fun factor (although I personally think it would be a blast to drive one). I think that comes from being too refined, too well behaved in the corners. If you punch it hard into a corner you expect a little sideways action, you don't want the car correcting that away.

I also don't buy into the idea that cars of the future are going to be all powerful and exhilarating. I think the typical family car is powerful enough as a daily people mover, and power output is not likely to change. The performance end of the market has an upper limit (look at the complexity of a Bugatti to break 1000hp, and these special edition Mercs that can't get their power to the ground). However fuel consumption will continue to get better, and anti-collision technology will continue to evolve. Until there is a major paradigm shift to electric, I wouldn't expect much more.

doubt it

ADM non-turbo 300ZX was 80-90k when new

ADM GTR was 120k when new

12+ year old R34 GTR's are still 50-80k

You probably wouldn't want an R35 when it falls into the 20k bracket, though... 100k to get it back to road worthy haha.

doubt it

You probably wouldn't want an R35 when it falls into the 20k bracket, though... 100k to get it back to road worthy haha.

Did Aus even get ADM delivered 34s? thought we only got a batch of 32s for homologation.

Either way, R32 GTRs are now around 20k for a mint one and ones under 20k that a little rougher so only time will tell.

Its all about demand.. like you said look at 300ZXs. Back in the day they were dubbed a cheaper alternative to a Ferrari 355 but now a N/A S13 fetches double what a Z32 does on the used car market lol. Silvias were half the price brand new and look now.. the tables have turned dramatically.

Edited by s13k's

I don't think the r35 would make it under 20k.... Once it's old enough to justify it being quite cheap

It'll have the whole 'only jap super car of it's time' 'in A world of Eco cars there was this beast'

When the r32 was released there was loads of high performance cars coming out of japan and mid performance cars as we'll. in the past couple

Of years there hasn't really been much at all besides the GT-R (more so now and in the coming years but I'm talking about let's say the last 5)

So that coupled with the fact of how advanced and refined it is, and that you could buy them for XXX,XXX and beat a car that's worth 3 times it's value.... Obviously it will depreciate but I don't think down to under 20k of today's dollars.

it wont go to 20k. the difference between it and other GTR's is that it's a supercar. and because of how many predecessors it has, it will only fall so much untill it gets close to them, at which point it wont go any lower.

IMO 32 gtr's are currently the lowest theyll ever be, and will only start to go up from here as finding a good condition mint example is pretty hard

edit - by that logic, i should be able to go pick up an early 90's ferrari for 20k. it aint gonna happen

Edited by King Troll

doubt it

Did Aus even get ADM delivered 34s? thought we only got a batch of 32s for homologation.

Either way, R32 GTRs are now around 20k for a mint one and ones under 20k that a little rougher so only time will tell.

Its all about demand.. like you said look at 300ZXs. Back in the day they were dubbed a cheaper alternative to a Ferrari 355 but now a N/A S13 fetches double what a Z32 does on the used car market lol. Silvias were half the price brand new and look now.. the tables have turned dramatically.

No, only 32 was released in Australia - 100 of them, and they go for 50k+ still. The R32 should have kept is value because it was THE car that ruined motorsport, THE car that made all other manufacturers pick up their game - it changed the rules. The JDM imports would have cost an equivalent amount anyway. Good ones are hard to find and average ones are 15k or less. It's disgusting.

My point with the Z32 was that even our shitbox NA one's (not the JDM fairlady) cost an arm and a leg, and because of the bad reputation they go for 5k registered. Z32's have an undeserved horrible reputation - S13's have an unusually fantastic reputation and they're CHEAP - so cheap that prices have gone up. I've been eyeing off a manual twin turbo Z32 for $4k, and kids want $10k for their N/A s13... f**k that.

The R33 GTR is cheap because people don't like the shape - so much better value for money than a 32, which are almost all flogged out shitboxes at this point. The R34's are still holding value, but there was a 5 year gap til anything came along after their production ended.

When the r32 was released there was loads of high performance cars coming out of japan and mid performance cars as we'll. in the past couple

Of years there hasn't really been much at all besides the GT-R (more so now and in the coming years but I'm talking about let's say the last 5)

So that coupled with the fact of how advanced and refined it is, and that you could buy them for XXX,XXX and beat a car that's worth 3 times it's value.... Obviously it will depreciate but I don't think down to under 20k of today's dollars.

R32 GTR's blew everyone and everything out of the water. Porsche, FC RX7's, JZA70 supras, everything. Noone could contend. The car was so successful that rules of motorsport had to change, other manufacturers had to jump 10 years ahead, it's why the JZA80 supra, the FD RX7, the NSX, etc. were so good. They had to be, to even be noticed.

In 1989 a twin turbo twin intercooled, twin cam engine coupled with computer controlled 4 wheel drive, 4 wheel steer with ABS was out of this world. The R35 GTR is technically impressive, but it's not doing anything new. It's not like tomorrow we will run out of petrol and we can say that the R35 was the last and greatest of the super car slayers.

Nissan doesn't mean anything to non-nissan enthusiasts. If you say "ferrari" to people, they lose their shit - as if they churn out good cars. But Nissans are still datsuns and not exotic supercars. And in a few years time, there will be something even quicker, harder cornering, better looking, better sounding, etc.

I wouldn't buy anything else but.

Edited by Wizard

You were going well up until twin intercooled haha but well put wiz

Anyone here think R35 GTR's look like shite ?

I'd rather a 32 or 34 GTR any day :o