Sign in to follow this  
Kirk Rapp

Good daily coilovers? (s13)

Just get BCs with softer springs in em. Done and done

Ignorance is bliss

Have you blokes tried the HSD's?

I have them in my car, pretty sure they're shit (and stuffed after only about 6 years) but not sure how they would compare to BC, silk roads, d2 etc etc

A friend's car has them, they are comfy for the street, however I feel that the dampers has a very small range hence the 1x billion adjustments.

I prefer shocks with fewer adjustments, that means each adjustment can handle a wider range of oscillations.. you can think of it as a well built speaker. One driver handles a wider range, rather than having 4 individual speakers each doing their own thing.

Remember, these cars are 90% street driven and 10% driven on the track, you need to factor in that our roads are utter horse shit.

Based on what you said, is there such thing as a coilovers with such good adjustments that you could cruise around Monday-Friday drive down to a track, make a quick adjustment and have an awesome setup for track then adjust t back and cruise back home in comfort?

For me my nismo suspension is good but it's still rough as f**k over certain roads, and could be stiffer when hard cornering

It's not all about moving a few clicks and been ready for the track, you need it to be an acceptable height to allow the shock to work for a start. Then you gotta get the spring rate right and if that's all good you will notice adjustments. But going to the track and cranking the dampened to hard isn't gunna make you go fassssst. I have mine set up for street an track with cusco zero 2rs at a normal height with clickers set on medium and it's not to harsh on the street and works well on the track too

I have them in my car, pretty sure they're shit (and stuffed after only about 6 years) but not sure how they would compare to BC, silk roads, d2 etc etc

A friend's car has them, they are comfy for the street, however I feel that the dampers has a very small range hence the 1x billion adjustments.

I prefer shocks with fewer adjustments, that means each adjustment can handle a wider range of oscillations.. you can think of it as a well built speaker. One driver handles a wider range, rather than having 4 individual speakers each doing their own thing.

Remember, these cars are 90% street driven and 10% driven on the track, you need to factor in that our roads are utter horse shit.

Based on what you said, is there such thing as a coilovers with such good adjustments that you could cruise around Monday-Friday drive down to a track, make a quick adjustment and have an awesome setup for track then adjust t back and cruise back home in comfort?

For me my nismo suspension is good but it's still rough as f**k over certain roads, and could be stiffer when hard cornering

It's not all about moving a few clicks and been ready for the track, you need it to be an acceptable height to allow the shock to work for a start. Then you gotta get the spring rate right and if that's all good you will notice adjustments. But going to the track and cranking the dampened to hard isn't gunna make you go fassssst. I have mine set up for street an track with cusco zero 2rs at a normal height with clickers set on medium and it's not to harsh on the street and works well on the track too

i always thought the idea of dampening setting was to dampen the rough feeling of the suspension, so i figured you wouldn't need to have it dampened much for track cause theres no potholes and shit like that, whereas street you would, thats what i meant, i didn't mean turn the dampening settings and go fasssssssst

Some tracks are worse than the street, a lot of people think harder is better which is not often the case.

I know top gear aren't much of a source but they took some cars around the track to compare sports mode vs normal everyday settings and the sports mode (lower, stiffer) was actually slower. I wonder if Silvia drivers/drifters would find something similar.

On the street my car (low and stiff) is crap to drive on rough roads at speed and as a result I drive slower and kinda dread hitting any big bumps. It can also understeer at times because there's no travel. My 180 had soft gab suspension and that thing drifted and handled like a champion. It also squatted a bit when taking off which helped rear end grip and felt faster and obv more comfortable. People told me to get 8/6 spring rates when I got my hsd's but if I get coil overs again I'm gonna go way softer. This low/stiff suspension trend is shit, unless you've got a dedicated race car, then it makes sense.

I know top gear aren't much of a source but they took some cars around the track to compare sports mode vs normal everyday settings and the sports mode (lower, stiffer) was actually slower. I wonder if Silvia drivers/drifters would find something similar.

Which episode was this?

I think in season 19 or 20 in the news segment. Didn't show the testing.

i always thought the idea of dampening setting was to dampen the rough feeling of the suspension, so i figured you wouldn't need to have it dampened much for track cause theres no potholes and shit like that, whereas street you would, thats what i meant, i didn't mean turn the dampening settings and go fasssssssst

springs absorb bumps in the road

dampers constrain the springs movement and thus the ability to absorb bumps. more damping = sore bum

My guess is that BCs, given how people describe them,are either way overdamped or they have an overly linear response to force input velocity. you generally want the dampers to be a bit softer on extremely sudden forces like going over a pothole. good ones have mechanisms to create that effect

Edited by Skepticism

I too dont know wether to get a good set of coilovers of just run king springs with some aftermarket shocks. Having a look today, at the lowest point my car is already like 12cm of the ground with stock suspension, although im not too worried about getting defected as I rarely am in a situation with the police behind me, I dont want to damage anything or scrape everywhere. Only interested in running 15's so not sure what to do.

is your suspension sagging? or is your exhaust hanging way too low? I've never measure it but 12cm stock sounds pretty shit!

If you're running 15's just get a decent profile so you're not SUPER low, i wouldn't run king springs, if you're going with springs and shocks look into something else like bilstein or something. At the end of the day decent springs and shocks isn't going to break the bank as much as decent coil overs so don't COMPLETELY tight arse it out.

Greddy Type S. Haven't looked back after 6+ years, and I daily my car.

You could spend less, only to regret it later when you realise how important good suspension is.

If you're going to put the dollars anywhere, just ask yourself, what's most important for a sportscar? If your answer is "hella flush" wheels and "stance", you need to sit in the corner and have a good hard look at yourself.

You could spend less, only to regret it later when you realise how important good suspension is.

If you're going to put the dollars anywhere, just ask yourself, what's most important for a sportscar? If your answer is "hella flush" wheels and "stance", you need to sit in the corner and have a good hard look at yourself.

well said, never skimp on tyres, brakes, suspension.. it's holds your car on the road.

And makes driving heaps more awersome

well said, never skimp on tyres, brakes, suspension.. it's holds your car on the road.

Nengun has Blitz ZZ-R's shipped for $1400. Anyone used these? I am thinking they would be a bit more suited for track use than say a BC.

Blitz ZZR's: http://www.nengun.co...per-zz-r-nissan

I have a suspicion they are BC BR coilovers that have been rebranded

So pretty much there are two categories of Coil-overs then right? The ones for around 1K and then your more serious players are 2K

hi! all ns.com members :) i just want to gather what are your thoughts or if anyone installed a Japtek coilovers in their vehicle. I would appreciate if someone can tell me what they think of this brand coilovers and build quality, particularly where its made from and how good they are once installed. I'm thinking of getting a set for my s14a. thanks

Look the same as the $700 ebay specials

Came in a car my brother bought, pretty horrible

• Upvote 1

Ive got GReddy Type S coil overs, they are of a high quality, I had them for about 5 years or so and haven't had any problems with them. No rattles no squeaks.

I do wish however they were more comfortable, even on a soft setting which doesn't offer enough damping for the springs the ride is pretty firm couple that with 18" rims on 40 profile tyres you get pretty tired after a day of driving (5 hours plus) and in extended drives my lower back on the stock S15 seats does get sore.

However in terms of handling, while they aren't my only suspension mod the car car handles nicely.

This comes up all the time, cheap coilovers. They all look nice but they are all the same. Get em then u will know what crap is so you can appreciate a 2000$ coilover. If you don't have the money then grab em and enjoy what u can afford.

Would HSD's be about the best you can get for the price?

Would HSD's be about the best you can get for the price?

As I said I got 6 years out of them. They weren't bad but they're not comfortable with 8/6 spring rates in an s15. My car doesnt really handle that well but then its a bit stiff and i also have a 2 way diff wanting to straighten the car out a little bit. I prob would have spent more for longer life and more comfort but I don't know if the comfort comes down to spring rates or if you really gotta get the premium coils to have a nice ride.

How high was it? Did you set your stroke to allow for bump and droop? These are things the majority of guys that buy cheap suspension don't do. I'm sure if you set it up correctly it may not be to bad. The thing is most cars think there cars slammed but there actually sitting on the bump stops or just off

Nah, always been a respectable height and was setup by a professional, can't vouch for the settings but I'm still driving on them and they're making creaks, rattles and kinda bouncing down the street. The car only got driven on weekends for a couple of years and I think I've heard that coils don't last as long in a car that's not used as often (true?).

If I replace them I want something soft that actually has some travel. Is that all down to spring rates?

Edited by Spazo

I bet your coilover wasn't setup correctly to allow correct shock travel. They all have plenty of travel it's just how you set them up. I reakon I could setup some shitty bc's to ride reasonably well. If anyone in Brisbane is game I'll give it a go. Just because it's high doesn't mean your not sitting on the shock bump stop.

Spazo do me a favour. Measure your guard to bottom of your rim when the car is sitting on level ground front and back. Then jack one side of the car up and do the same while the wheels are in the air. Guard to bottom of rim again. Then report back :).